Abit IS7 problems during post (need info on meaning of beeps and LED)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by James, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I've owned a home-built computer for about a year now and have just
    started having problems with it. Yesterday, I started hearing wierd
    noises out of the PC that I could not identify and my computer hung on
    boot when I tried rebooting.

    When it tries to start up again, I hear a strange series of beeps
    noices before it just hangs and there is also a strange sound coming
    out of my PC somewhere.

    I've dusted my entire PC and checked the processor fan, graphics card
    fan, MCH fan, and case fan, and I think, by elimination, it may be
    something with the fan in the power supply.

    When I try to start up it, a red LED next to the power and reset pins
    on my motherboard lights up.(VCC, I think...)

    How can I fix this problem from here? How do I find out the meaning of
    the POST beeps? Are there any other instruction manuals other than
    the generic one provided on the Abit website?

    James, Apr 1, 2005

  2. James

    TomG Guest

    your board has 1 led that lights for indicating stand by power is available
    (power supply is on and AC power is present but the board is not actually
    powered on) and a second LED that lights when you actually power the system
    on.

    a normal sequence for POST would include one beep.

    for the issues you are describing, I would try to pin down where any odd
    physical noises are coming from. it is not at all uncommon, for example, to
    have the Northbridge fan start to make noise on these boards. try to
    isolate where the noise is coming from even if it means unplugging other
    devices or fans to decrease ambient noise. of course, be careful about
    disconnecting the CPU cooling fan as it won't take long to overheat without
    a fan.

    from there, if you are still having issues with the system not booting, you
    can strip out any add-in PCI cards and take the system down to bare
    essentials consisting of video, ram and cpu. you can even disconnect the
    hard drive ribbons and power supply plugs to eliminate loads and devices
    connected to the mainboard and then see if it will at least boot.

    if it still doesn't boot, then you need to look at what sort of symptoms you
    have such as fans spinning up or not (no fans would indicate a power supply
    not coming up and I would check for this even before stripping things down,
    then recheck if the fans didn't originally spin as I was taking off loads to
    see if they eventually do come on when trying to boot).

    remember that unless you physically turn off the power supply or remove AC
    power, there will likely be standby power on the board. do not disconnect
    or remove components while the power supply is live. there are plenty of
    different paths this type of thing can take so post back with any additional
    details you come up with to assist with troubleshooting.
    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com