ABIT IT7 and the BSOD....(again and again)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Mike, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Lately (last month) my Abit IT7 w/P4 1.6 has been cranky. Had to
    reinstall W2K right before Christmas and this past weekend after
    installing a DVD burner the BSOD returned. Was unable to even
    reinstall W2K from boot CD, getting the infamous "If this is the first
    time you've seen this screen....remove any new hardware and try, try
    again...."

    System had been stable for almost a year.

    So, tried w/the old CD drive in place and the same occurs - random
    stops/crash/reboots while browsing or just copying files. Instant
    reboot w/any games.

    I tried turning off the L1 and L2 cache just for grins and the install
    did finish (I think - it was still going when I left for work) but
    took a looonnnnggg time (i.e overnight) and didn't get the BSOD (yet).

    CPU was purchased used and was OC by previous owner and of course
    overclocked by me. So does this sound like perhaps a bad CPU or
    perhaps a powersupply issue?
    I'm guessing CPU...or maybe bad capacitors (didn't see evidence of the
    capacitors, but haven't looked closely).

    I've ran memtest86 overnight and no errors were logged.

    I have ran scandisk w/surface scan and no errors occurred.

    CPU and case temperatures are all within specification.

    System Specifications:

    Abit IT7 w/latest bios
    P4 1.6c OC to 1.9mhz
    Stock heatsink and fan w/AS3
    256 Mb of Micron pc2700 RAM
    Powercooler ATI Radeon 9700 (upped to pro via bios upgrade).
    Antec tower case w/300W powersupply (problem now?)
    Plextor 706a DVD burner
    (had a HP CD burner)
    Western Digital 80mb and 40mb drives
    Win 2K (had all the latest SP)

    Anyway any help/comments/taunts would be greatly appreciated.

    M.

    Mike, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Mike

    Gandolf_One Guest

    Just an idea with the ati 9700pro having other devices (Harddrives cdroms
    etc...) connected to the same power loom can cause random crashes etc...
    This can happen at any point in time with the 9700pro cards, mine was stable
    for about 9 months before it started to happen. Also get a better
    psu!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Gandolf_One, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Mike

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Be sure your IDE cable(s) are(is) good. An intermittent cable can
    cause crashes after it has been moved around - such as by adding a new
    drive.

    A previously overclocked cpu is absolutely not a consideration. A cpu
    previously damaged by someone else by static electricity - is. If it
    has been damaged this way it will be temperature sensitive - cool
    temps and everything works, warm temps and frequent crashes.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Mike

    John Guest

    Ordered a new power supply Antec True Power 380W - hopefully be adequate.

    Also ran some burn in tests after reinstalling W2K again. Computer would
    crash when over-clocked even the slightest bit. Ran SiSoft burn-in
    overnight back
    at the stock speed. Guess I'll try to replay a fresh coat of artic silver
    when I
    install the new power supply.

    Thanks for the assist both you guys.

    M.