abit kg7 large hard drives

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Leon Gony, May 9, 2004.

  1. Leon Gony

    Leon Gony Guest

    Hey guys,
    I have an Abit KG7(non-raid) with an athlon xp 1800+. I have been
    using the Ultra100 TX2 card to use my western digital drive 200 gig
    hard drive and my 160 gig samsung. This works, but I have gotten
    bothersome problems. I have a creative live sound blaster platinum!,
    and get the annoying sound cracking problem when the hard drives are
    busy. Besides, this, when hard drives are busy I occasionally get the
    mouse jerkiness problem. I am using the latest firmware for the
    controller card, as well as the latest ide driver. Like many before me
    I notice I don't get these problems when using the ide controller. I
    would therefore like to simply use the onboard ide controller for my
    hard drives.
    While using onboard controller, initially the drives weren't
    recognized past the 137 gig limit by the kg7 bios. A flash to the
    newest one fixed this. However while windows recognized the sizes,
    accessing the disks would cause the computer to freeze. This is the
    similar to what happened to the hard drives when using the promise
    controller on the default windows xp drivers.
    There are no drivers that I know of for the regular ide controllers
    though... So I have two possible solutions with your help. If you have
    an Abit KG7 and are using the Ultra100 TX2 with no problems I would
    like to know how. If you are using the Abit KG7 with large hard disks
    on the default IDE controllers with no problems I would also
    appreciate knowing how it is done.

    A little more info that would help:
    Everything is on its own IRQ, so there is no irq sharing between
    devices.(i.e. sound card and controller card). This is all in Windows
    XP with latest service pack. I have the newest 4 in 1 VIA drivers
    installed, as well as the newest AMD AGP driver. Any replies are
    appreciated.

    Leon

    Leon Gony, May 9, 2004

  2. Leon Gony

    patrickp Guest

    Couple of things, Leon, first, it's generally not recommended to use
    the latest 4in1 drivers with older chipsets: see the VIA site for a
    version appropriate for your chipset and OS.

    Secondly, since your board has the VIA 686B Southbridge, it's likely
    you have the PCI Latency problem - you're showing the classic
    symptoms, crackling Soundblaster and data transfers freezing up. See
    http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/ for George Breese's PCI
    Latency patch - later 4in1 drivers are supposed to include this, but
    George Breese's patch often fixes the problem where the VIA drivers
    don't. It can also be a good idea to check that PCI Latency settings
    are set to 0 or disabled in your BIOS.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, May 9, 2004