    Snarfu

    Remove JUNK from my address when replying by e-mail.
    ..

    Snarfu, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Snarfu

    0_Qed Guest

    Assumed cpu fan ...

    =Generally=, fans are supplied by the mobo mfgr for a reason ...
    newer AMD cpu chips "generally" need a fan ...

    Me?
    I'd suggest you find a replacement ...
    run the cpu at "idle" till you fit a new one.

    Fan squeels can be quieted with a drop of mineral spirit 'oil' ...
    lift the 'label',
    sewing needle 'held' 1/2_drop of oil ... drop "it"

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Snarfu

    Snarfu Guest

    CPU fan ... heavens no! My Xp1900 would fry itself in seconds without
    the CPU fan.

    The fan in question is on the motherboard adjacent to the CPU socket.
    Its referred to as AMD 761 (northbridge) system bus controller in the
    manual.

    Snarfu, Oct 2, 2003
  4. Snarfu

    Skid Guest

    In that case, you can run it without a fan or substitute an old 486 fan or
    similar. There are plenty of aftermarket chipset coolers available, both
    passive and active, but they would probably be overkill.

    Skid, Oct 2, 2003
  5. Snarfu

    TomG Guest

    you can also peel the label up on the existing fan and give it a drop of
    light machine oil such as sewing machine or clock oil and it will most
    likely take off and run for a long time again.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 117,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Oct 2, 2003
  6. Snarfu

    Snarfu Guest

    Thanks, I did try that but the fan won't power up even though it does
    spin freely now.

    Snarfu, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Snarfu

    TomG Guest

    probably got so hot from a locked armature that it fried the windings...

    TomG, Oct 3, 2003