ABit KG7-RAID Locking up..No apparent reason

Discussion in 'Abit' started by T Andrews, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. T Andrews

    T Andrews Guest

    I have a ABit KG7-RAID MOBO. I am having problems with the machine
    just locking up for no apparent reason. This a fresh install of WinXP
    Home. I have flashed the bios to the latest version, and tried
    optimal settings, fail safe settings, and manually configuring it.
    NO JOY!

    System components are as follows:

    Abit KG7-Raid
    ATi Radeon 9000 Pro AGP
    Netgear FA310TX ethernet card
    SB Audigy Platinum sound
    40 Gig Maxtor ATA100 HDD
    512 mb Corsair PC 2100 Registered Memory x1
    AMD Athlon 1800+

    That's it, the only software installed is Norton Anti-virus. However,
    it had already locked once before I even got to the install of norton.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

    TA

    T Andrews, Feb 26, 2004

  2. T Andrews

    TomG Guest

    have you customized the bios settings as per below?

    --
    To gain stability on the KG7 running 5W or 68 or 8S (and most likely 9M)
    bios with an XP CPU, try the following:

    One suggestion for bios settings is to set the CPU Slew rate to 6 or 7 under
    Advanced Chipset Features, Chipset Driving Control, Control CPU P/N.

    Another bios setting suggestion from Abit is to change the Control CPU P/N
    Value (there are three settings in this area of the bios) to "4" "04" "0D"
    in the same area of the bios. You may want to run Memtest again after all
    of the above and see if you can set the DDR voltage back to default,
    assuming you had to raise it to begin with.

    Get a copy of Memtest (available on my server at the address below under
    /Utilities) and test your memory. If you get memory errors, you may need to
    raise the DDR voltage to 2.70 or 2.75 volts.

    Finally, if all else fails, try running 5E bios. Even if you have an XP
    2000+ your cpu will still run at rated speed because the multiplier is
    locked in the cpu so as long as the FSB is at the correct speed for your
    cpu, the system will run at rated speed.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 26, 2004

  3. T Andrews

    0_Qed Guest

    ....snip...

    Saw/Read TomG's previous advisory ... a good one.

    If "above" is of no avail ...
    try this "SWAG" ...

    .. you mite have a munged "ESCD" ... an obscure 'DB' of PnP/PCI/et_al
    "data".
    ..
    .. =after= the 1st successful boot, its located(written) to the 'aft'
    .. part of your bios eeprom chip ... :)
    ..
    .. Kinda took over from the CMOS chip when "it" got too small.

    ESCD Munging can well occur if you've swopped cards & devices in & out
    played with PCI 'INT' asignments, played w/Pwr+Mgt and 'ilk'.
    You didnt 'say', I didnt ask. :)

    *If* a munged ESCD =is= the cause , 2 solutions.

    (1) Via BIOS Menu parm setting & re_boot
    .. RTFM page 3-29 ... "Force ESCD Update" ...

    I can recall doing this successfully ...
    just clears the ESCD and ==NOT== the the BIOS file.
    W98/XP aughta re_probe too.

    (2) Via a re_flash
    .. do " awdflash ? ", rtfm ...
    .. esp ...
    cd: Clear DMI Data After Programming
    cp: Clear PnP(ESCD) Data After
    Programming
    cc: Clear CMOS Data After Programming
    Example: AWDFLASH 6A69R000.bin /py/sn/cd/cp/cks1A26
    .. ^^^^^

    Not sure what the new Winflash does wrt DMI & ESCD clearing
    ??? TomG ??? .

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Feb 26, 2004
  4. With those boards and seems like the Abit boards to begin with when
    the machine starts locking on fail-safe defaults the motherboard is a
    goner.

    Gene

    Armored Knight, Feb 29, 2004
  5. T Andrews

    TomG Guest

    well, the KG7 was one of the few boards I got from Abit that the *default*
    "fail-safe" settings did not work or were totally unstable with certain
    CPU's. you *had* to go in and adjust the slew rate for the CPU.

    now, we have boards like the IC7 and IS7 that are frequently unstable with
    the DDR voltage at stock settings.

    TomG, Feb 29, 2004