    reboot, any ideas guys ? im really really stumped.

    Thanks,

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Jim

    Wes Newell Guest

    Default for the 2000+ is 12.5x133. Set it to that in the bios. The reason
    it's showing 1248MHz is because you have the FSB set to 100 instead of
    133. And the bios version shouldn't matter except for cosmetic reasons.

    Wes Newell, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Jim

    Marcus Guest

    Jim,

    What is the rating of your memory? The most probably your memory can't cope
    with 133mhz, if you have PC133 then you may have to boost the V+ on the
    units, can't recall where this was/is as not had the KG7-Raid for sometime
    now.

    Hope this helps.

    Re:

    Marcus!

    Marcus, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I tried that, but everytime I put the fsb to 133 it doesnt want to boot, it
    powers up but nothing displays, so I have to take the bios battery out and
    clear the cmos and take it back to normal settings. Could it be that the
    powersupply is too low ? Its not running anything apart from a graphics card
    and soundcard, I think its 300w, maybe its the Vcore settings are wrong, all
    I know is that it doesnt want to boot with an fsb of 133.

    Thank you anyway for your reply, anymore ideas ?

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks Marcus,

    I put the vcore upto 1.75v and now it seems to work fine, its running at
    a multiplyer of 12 instead of 12 1/2 and an FSB of 133, glad that its
    working now, should I bump it upto 13 or be happy with my 1.67ghz ?

    Thanks for your help though guys, much appreciated !

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Jim

    Wes Newell Guest

    All I can tell you is that the KG7 boards (actually the AMD chipset) is
    very finicky. Best bet is to google for KG7 answers or ask for help form
    someone that's got one. Some people don;t have problems at all, others
    seem to have to change or sorts of things in the bios to get them to work
    right. I thnk Tom knows this board prettty good, maybe he can help.

    Wes Newell, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Jim

    TomG Guest

    been a while since I had the board as I sold it to a friend that still runs
    it currently. that is the reason I held off in answering as I have gotten
    rusty on some of it (even though I do support the friend when he gets into
    trouble...)

    I never had to bump core voltage to get the system to run at normal clocks
    but I did bump it slightly for OC'ing. I'm pretty sure I ran the ram at
    stock voltage... only other thing I had to do is the following...
    --
    To gain stability on the KG7 running 5W or 68 or 8S (and most likely 9M)
    bios with an XP CPU, try the following:

    One suggestion for bios settings is to set the CPU Slew rate to 6 or 7 under
    Advanced Chipset Features, Chipset Driving Control, Control CPU P/N.

    Another bios setting suggestion from Abit is to change the Control CPU P/N
    Value (there are three settings in this area of the bios) to "4" "04" "0D"
    in the same area of the bios. You may want to run Memtest again after all
    of the above and see if you can set the DDR voltage back to default,
    assuming you had to raise it to begin with.

    Get a copy of Memtest (available on my server at the address below under
    /Utilities) and test your memory. If you get memory errors, you may need to
    raise the DDR voltage to 2.70 or 2.75 volts.

    Finally, if all else fails, try running 5E bios. Even if you have an XP
    2000+ your cpu will still run at rated speed because the multiplier is
    locked in the cpu so as long as the FSB is at the correct speed for your
    cpu, the system will run at rated speed.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Jim

    Bob Troll Guest

    Jim

    I ran my KG7 with a 2100 Palomino which ran fine but the thoroughbreds I
    tried in it didn't work out to my satisfaction. I ran the vcore at the cpu's
    stock rating. The memory needed a little bump up to get stable along with
    TomG's memory timings of 4, 04, 0D. If that doesn't get it stable try 6, 05,
    06. My best results with that board was with the 9M bios FWIW.
    If this board is new to you and you have set it up with a new OS, there are
    a number of things to do to that board at install time such as the AMD
    driver etc.
    Unfortunately I deleted all my KG7 links and info when I dumped the board.
    These guys in this forum will tell you the website for the KG7 faq. Or maybe
    do a google for kg7 faq. Paul's I think the name was...

    Regards, Bob Troll

    Bob Troll, Jul 24, 2004
  9. Jim

    TomG Guest

    the ram errors are common to that board until you employ the settings that I
    posted or something in that ballpark. some of the numbers seem to need to
    be different from one KG7 system to another but in general, that group of
    settings has been the way to stability on the KG7. I also agree with
    raiding the ram voltage a little but don't recall having to do that with my
    specific ram.

    TomG, Jul 24, 2004
  10. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks Tom,
    The computer seems more stable but its prone to lock ups during games,
    when I run the memory test it seems to have some errors, I'll try and post a
    list of all my settings in a moment, but until then i'll keep fiddling
    around with it.

    Thanks for your help everyone, really appreciated !!

    Jim

    Jim, Jul 24, 2004