    CPU.

    Regards

    Geo

    j.peszynski, Jul 6, 2003

  2. j.peszynski

    Wes Newell Guest

    Clear cmos, plug it in, go from there. Others can maybe provide specifics.

    Wes Newell, Jul 6, 2003

  3. j.peszynski

    Gunner Guest

    This is from the ABIT site... and I'm assuming the original post was correct
    listing the KG7 vs the KT7?

    Starting with BIOS ID: 8S
    1.. Supports AMD Athlon XP CPU, 0.18 micron process Palomino up to 2100+
    and 0.13 micron process Thoroughbred up to 2000+.

    If I'm understanding what I'm reading, this board (KG7 and KG7-RAID) works
    up to the listed CPU's, and the XP 2500+ isn't there. This info can be
    verified at the following ABIT site at this URL

    http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/download_content.jsp?pTITLE=KG7&#Bios...

    Gunner, Jul 6, 2003
  4. j.peszynski

    TomG Guest

    well, the problem here is that Abit has not updated that information since
    the newer cpu's have come out. there *can* be some issues with running some
    of the newer, unlocked cpu's on the KG7 but there are frequently
    workarounds. you are correct that the board was not designed with those
    cpu's in mind. that doesn't mean that it won't work but you do take your
    chances, personal opinion.

    I never played with the KG7 and the newer cpu's so I cannot attest to
    success or failure from firsthand experience.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 113,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jul 6, 2003
  5. j.peszynski

    Gunner Guest

    Agreed

    Gunner, Jul 6, 2003
  6. j.peszynski

    Gunner Guest

    Wes, the original post simply asked...
    As I re-read that post, I guess one could argue it's an overclocking
    question. It's obvious I didn't take it that way. Since I'm not into OCing
    because I don't know enough about it, I would not have answered it but left
    the question to be answered by people who understand overclocking/tweaking
    much better than I do. I don't doubt for a minute that CPU's can be made to
    work in Mobo's that they were not designed for (the OC'ers make it happen
    everyday). So, bottom lining Geo's original question, if you or others here
    say it can be done I don't have a problem with that. Many of you are much
    more knowledgeable in that arena than I'll ever be. I simply answered Geo
    based on exactly what I saw in his post.

    So Wes, when you say "And why do you think they list the 2000+ as the
    fastest tbred that will work?" I don't have a clue why ABIT lists what they
    do, but that is all I (as a rookie) have to go on. I'm not in a position to
    be buying new CPU's/Mobo's because I fried things in an attempt to squeeze
    out some last bit of speed. I admire people who can do this and succeed.
    Enough said... Gunner

    if XP 2500+

    Gunner, Jul 7, 2003
  7.
    Vedran Hunjek, Jul 7, 2003
  8. j.peszynski

    Gunner Guest

    I stand corrected and I miswrote my thought (another good reason why I
    should have not tried to help good ol Geo... it probably isn't an
    overclocking issue. My point is it's an issue that someone wants to run a
    CPU on a board that is shown on the ABIT site as not supporting "that" CPU.
    I don't care one way or the other if people can get it to go on a Mobo that
    states it doesn't support this CPU or that CPU.

    More power to those that can do that... I don't have the knowledge to do
    that and I wish I understood tweaking BIOS/Mobo's much better than I do.. I
    did read the article you referenced and I appreciate your response.
    Thanks...

    Gunner, Jul 7, 2003
  9. you are welcome..

    anyhow, this motherboard was designed without higher multipliers in
    mind, but you can change multipliers in several ways, even without
    damaging the bridges, that you don't loose warrenty for cpu..

    the bottom line is, do the 5 min. research on the topic and you are
    ready for that operation..

    or buy new motherboard, it's your choice, but you won't gain much with
    newer motherboards..

    cheers

    v*

    Vedran Hunjek, Jul 8, 2003
  10. j.peszynski

    Gunner Guest

    Thanks again and have a good one... Gunner

    Gunner, Jul 8, 2003