    I'm looking at getting the Abit KN9, to go with an AMD X2 5600 and 2X1GB
    PC6400 memory (Patriot Extreme Performance or Corsair C4).
    Any know issues with the KN9?

    Frodo, May 10, 2007

  2. Frodo

    Mark Pryor Guest

    I have the nForce4 and the nForce570 versions of the KN9.

    In order to run your RAM at 400, you will need to raise the DDR2 voltage
    from 1.8 -> 2.0+, perhaps as high as 2.2.
    Reset the bios (to force the RAM to 333). On the first boot (it should
    post fine), hit "Load Optimal Defaults", set the time, then raise the DDR2
    voltage. When you reboot, the RAM should detect as 400Mhz. If it doesn't
    then raise the setting.

    Before you install an OS, check stability in Memtest86 v1.70
    http://www.memtest.org

    I've run this MB in WinXPsp2, OpenSuSE 10.2, and CentOS 5.0

    The hardware Virtualization support works great in Xen.

    The CPU fan header has 4 pins. If you want fan speed throttling, then move
    the cpu fan over to the adjacent SysFan header and do the setup in the
    HardWare Monitor bios section.

    Mark Pryor, May 10, 2007

  3. For the last decde or so, I've only used ASUS board. When building the
    latest box, there were no acceptable ASUS boards available, so I bought a
    KN9-SLi. I will not go back to ASUS any time soon. This board was easy to
    install, easy to set up, easy to OC, and has given me no issues other than
    the memory glitch that Mark Pryor (below) refers to.

    It's a good board. Have fun with it.

    Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MYOFB, May 12, 2007
  4. Frodo

    Gary Avrett Guest

    I have an Abit KN9 SLI with X2 6000+ processor. I heeded recomendations to
    flash bios to version 1.8 before loading windows and have not had a single
    issue to date. It is a wonderful motherboard for Windows XP SP2 or Vista
    (which I have both XP and Vista dual boot on).
    The only known issues are with the Brisbane CPU chip not reading temps
    properly but supposed fix is to put bios Version 2.0 on it. The 5600+ and
    6000+ are Windsor CPU chips of which work just fine. Be sure and download
    the AMD Dual Core Optimizer from AMD website for the X2 chips (for Vista or
    XP) and Microsoft Hotfix from Microsoft website (if using XP).

    Gary Avrett, May 27, 2007