ABIT KT7 - A9 BIOS - Must pull cord to POST after BIOS Upgrade

Discussion in 'Abit' started by dr, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. dr

    dr Guest

    Mates,

    I successfully upgraded the bios on my kt7 motherboard to the A9 bios, but
    it
    will not POST on *reboot* unless I pull the power cord. (no video, no
    nothing) The processor is a T-bird 800. After pulling the power cord, the
    system will POST and boot just fine with the A9 bios. This problem occurs
    (1)
    after a normal shut down, (2) when performing a normal reboot, and (3) after
    exiting the Award bios setup utility. (i.e. on both a 'soft' and 'hard'
    reboot) The power supply

    The bios installation went fine. I followed the 'flash bios' instructions
    the letter. I have retrieved the A9 bios upgrade from multiple sites and
    verified the md5sums. I have flashed numerous times -- all successfully
    completed -- same result each time.

    This system as been rock solid for years. The only hardware that has been
    changed is the hardrive. I needed the bios upgrade to handle the 250G drive.
    This box serves as a print and file server, so the main problem is that it
    will *not* come back online after a power failure unless somebody is
    physically present to pull the power cord and restart the system.

    Do you guys have any ideas about what I can try?? I have Googled the heck
    out of this issue without luck. I have eliminated the power supply as an
    issue -- new 350W, same result.

    Any help or insight to the problem would be greatly appreciated.

    dr, Sep 9, 2005

  2. dr wrote:

    | Mates,
    |
    | I successfully upgraded the bios on my kt7 motherboard to the A9 bios, but
    | it
    | will not POST on *reboot* unless I pull the power cord. (no video, no
    | nothing) The processor is a T-bird 800. After pulling the power cord, the
    | system will POST and boot just fine with the A9 bios. This problem occurs
    | (1)
    | after a normal shut down, (2) when performing a normal reboot, and (3)
    after
    | exiting the Award bios setup utility. (i.e. on both a 'soft' and 'hard'
    | reboot) The power supply
    |
    | The bios installation went fine. I followed the 'flash bios' instructions
    | the letter. I have retrieved the A9 bios upgrade from multiple sites and
    | verified the md5sums. I have flashed numerous times -- all successfully
    | completed -- same result each time.
    |
    | This system as been rock solid for years. The only hardware that has been
    | changed is the hardrive. I needed the bios upgrade to handle the 250G
    drive.
    | This box serves as a print and file server, so the main problem is that it
    | will *not* come back online after a power failure unless somebody is
    | physically present to pull the power cord and restart the system.
    |
    | Do you guys have any ideas about what I can try?? I have Googled the heck
    | out of this issue without luck. I have eliminated the power supply as an
    | issue -- new 350W, same result.
    |
    | Any help or insight to the problem would be greatly appreciated.

    Hi David -

    Two easy things to look into:

    .. Did you manually clear the CMOS after the flash? If not, pull the power
    cord and move the CCMOS1 jumper to pins 2 and 3. Wait a few moments and
    replace CCMOS1 back on pins 1 and 2. Replace the power and boot. Press DEL
    at the POST and reenter all your settings, starting with Load Optimized
    Defaults.

    .. Meter the motherboard battery. Doubtful it's causing your problem .. but
    if it's under 3 volts, replace.

    Next is the dicey part.

    Carefully inspect the capacitors on the board. Look for any that are
    leaking brownish/reddish crud or are domed. If you find any, this could be
    the problem. Abit has entered into a class-action settlement over leaking
    caps on their boards. See http://www.abitsettlement.com/ for more
    information. Unfortunately this settlement only applies to the United
    States (you don't say where you're located). The board can be RMA'd back to
    Abit for repair without cost under the terms of the settlement. RMA
    instructions can be found at https://rma.abit-usa.com/ (North American
    support .. for other areas, see http://www.abit.com.tw and click on the link
    for your region).

    Additional information on the bad cap problem at
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com (and this is also a good source for
    repair).

    Jef

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®, Sep 9, 2005

  3. dr

    Wes Newell Guest

    I don't know, but I'd check/replace the cmos battery, then go into bios
    and exit with save after checking everything over again. I assume you
    completely cleared the bios after the version upgrade. Might try an
    earlier bios. I think large drive support was added in the 64 bios.
    Interesting problem, wish I could help more, and would be interested if
    you found the problem. Good luck.

    Wes Newell, Sep 9, 2005
  4. dr

    dr Guest

    Jef, thanks for the response. I did clear the CMOS as indicated each time i
    flashed. Still no joy. It would be strange if it was a capacitor issue
    because the board was booting just fine before the bios upgrade. The problem
    appeared with the upgrade to A9. I'll look at the capacitors just to check,
    but I really don't think that is probable given the problem appearing at the
    exact time of the bios upgrade.

    Thanks again for the information great information on the class settlement.

    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    510 Ochiltree Street
    Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
    (936) 715-9333
    (936) 715-9339 fax
    www.rankinlawfirm.com

    dr, Sep 9, 2005
  5. dr

    dr Guest

    Wes,

    I think I'll try going back to the 7N bios to see if that helps. 7N
    shows large drive support so it should work for what I need. Thanks....

    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    510 Ochiltree Street
    Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
    (936) 715-9333
    (936) 715-9339 fax
    www.rankinlawfirm.com

    dr, Sep 9, 2005
  6. dr

    - HAL9000 Guest

    If you need more to try, LOL...

    Will it post after you push the front panel reset switch?

    I would be tempted to disconnect the new drive and see if it starts
    posting normally.

    Did the old hard drive fail or are you upgrading?

    Sounds like the power supply reset is working - posts after removing
    all power, but that the mobo reset isn't working.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Sep 9, 2005
  7. dr

    dr Guest

    Nope. Doesn't matter if I shut down, reboot, whatever, if it tries to go
    through the boot process after being running, then I have to pull the cord
    to *reset or whatever* to get it to boot again -- really strange......
    It started after the flash while the old drive was still installed. But I
    did pull power to all the new drives just to see if that was the issue -- no
    joy.
    No it still works fine. I was just *finally* going from a Mdk 7.2 install to
    a SuSE 9.3 install and it seemed like the perfect time to replace the 40G
    with a pair of 250G drives ; - )
    Yep, I'm going to try the 7N bios and see if that helps.

    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    510 Ochiltree Street
    Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
    (936) 715-9333