ABIT KT7 - USR Sportster not recognized in ISA Slot

Discussion in 'Abit' started by dr, Sep 12, 2005.

  1. dr

    dr Guest

    Mates,

    This is a weird problem. I have an old ISA Sportster 33.6 modem in my
    KT7 that for some reason refuses to be recognized. The modem is jumpered for
    com2 irq3; the on-board com2 has been disabled in the bios, and the bios
    modem irq is set to irq3. For some reason, the system will not recognize the
    modem. The bios knows it is there, because if I don't disable the onboard
    com2, the bios complains about conflicting 2F8 addresses. But I can't talk
    to the modem at all. Not through minicom, etc..

    Any Ideas??

    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    510 Ochiltree Street
    Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
    (936) 715-9333
    (936) 715-9339 fax
    www.rankinlawfirm.com

    dr, Sep 12, 2005

  2. dr

    Mort Guest

    Hmmmm . . .

    (1) The 15 year old modem is malfunctioning.
    (2) Misaligned installation, too much dust in the ISA slot, or dirty
    contacts on the card.
    (3) You need to manually set the ESCD and DMA (page 3-40 of the manual).
    (4) An IRQ has been set to the same one as the ISA bus.

    Good luck,

    Mort

    Mort, Sep 12, 2005

  3. dr

    Wes Newell Guest

    In addition to disabling Com2, go into bios and set the IRQ resources for
    IRQ3 to legacy. That should fix it.

    Wes Newell, Sep 12, 2005
  4. dr

    dr Guest

    Ah Hah!, That sounds promising. I'll check when I get home and report
    back..........

    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    510 Ochiltree Street
    Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
    (936) 715-9333
    (936) 715-9339 fax
    www.rankinlawfirm.com

    dr, Sep 12, 2005
  5. dr

    dr Guest

    WOOHOO! Wes, that was the magic needle in the haystack. After sitting in the
    box for 4 years not working (never really needed it before) that SOB is
    working like a champ! The IRQ3 to legacy was the ticket! Now if I can just
    get all that dust out of the phone line plug-ins.................

    David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
    510 Ochiltree Street
    Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
    (936) 715-9333
    (936) 715-9339 fax
    www.rankinlawfirm.com

    dr, Sep 13, 2005
  6. dr

    Bob Smith Guest

    You could also set the modem for PNP, at least the few old ISA usr
    sportster modems i've played with worked well that way.

    I was having a problem with them being recognized by Windows XP,
    , so I pulled all the jumpers on both the IRQ and COM pings and let
    windows xp sort it out, it did and they played fine,,

    This is a trick that USR came out with when Win95 went PNP.

    Bob Smith
    Robert Smith Consutling

    Bob Smith, Sep 13, 2005