    I would like to do a processor upgrade on my friend's pc. He was looking at
    the Athlon 2600 XP 200- 266 FSB. Motherboard is an Abit KT7A. Will this
    processor work?

    ExtantOne, Feb 23, 2004

  2. ExtantOne

    Wes Newell Guest

    Yes

    Wes Newell, Feb 23, 2004

  3. ExtantOne

    Simon Guest

    THIS MOBO IS DEFINITELY NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE ATHLON XP 2600+

    Sorry for shouting but you really must not buy a KT7A board. It has the
    KT133A Chipset althougth it does support 266 Mhz (133MHz*2) FSB, it only
    supports upto a Althon 1400 which if my memory serves is a pre AthlonXP
    processor.

    See Bios Update info:-

    http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/dow...d&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=KT7A&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket+A

    Just as a sub note. The Althon 2600+ XP or ADXA2600BOX you but in the shops
    is a 333MHz FSB (166*2) version. It is true that there was a 266 version of
    the AXDA2600Box but was discontinued by AMD when the started producing 333
    processors such as the Athlon2600+ and the Althon2800+. The only place you
    may find one is Ebay or other such places.

    If your heart is set on a 266 MHz FSB then the best you will be able to get
    is a AthlonXP2400+ (ATHLON2400BOX). Again make sure the processor you get
    has a 266FSB as there is a ADXA2400BOX with a 400(200*2) FSB.

    The Abit mobo you are after is the KR7A. They both fairly aged mobo's now so
    there should be little different in cost.

    Hope this Helps :)

    Simon, Mar 3, 2004
  4. ExtantOne

    Wes Newell Guest

    All wrong.
    Why. it's worthless.
    Wrong again. You can buy brand new 2600+/266 cpu's.
    AMD has never made a 266Mhz FSB cpu. They do make a 266FSB that has a
    default FSB of 133Mhz.
    Why in the world would he want to buy an old KR7A? If a new board is
    needed get a new model. They are backwards compatable.
    Sorry, it didn't.

    Please read the site below before spreading any more misinformation. And
    look at the sig.

    Wes Newell, Mar 3, 2004
  5. ExtantOne

    rstlne Guest

    Wow.. You must only post in this forum and not read..
    Granted YES the new 2600+'s would be useless as they are locked.. But they
    are the same basic design.. That is, same pinouts, same instructions, same
    voltage range (yea voltages differe but go across the whole range of
    athonlons your board can take and you'll see that newer barton processors
    use the same voltage)..

    Basically it's down to a lack of research on your part, Sorry that it didnt
    work for you - but you wouldnt have had trouble had you done your research
    before buying the stuff

    rstlne, Mar 3, 2004