Abit KT7A-Raid w TBred2100+ Tweaking BIOS Settings

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Zogg, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Zogg

    Zogg Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to optimize the BIOS settings on my ABIT KT7A-Raid MB to
    support a TBred (B) 2100+. The system seems to run reliably at
    20x100MHz and 17x133MHz although the latter gets too hot (I need a new
    HSF). I'm trying to tweak the settings so that I can minimize voltages
    (hence heat) and still get reliable performance and reasonable speed.

    The problem is that most modifications to the BIOS settings cause the
    system not to POST and I can't get things going again to reset the
    BIOS settings without taking the 2100+ out, replacing it with the
    previous TBird 1000, performing a default boot (INS key held down),
    resetting the BIOS, taking the TBird 1000 out, replacing the 2100+ and
    trying again...

    Is there anyway of getting the 2100+ to POST under the default BIOS
    settings or do I have to contune playing this musical CPU game? I
    think I'm wearing out the heatsink and the ZIF CPU socket and I'm sure
    it's not doing the two CPUs much good either.

    I've seen mention of the 'wire trick' in this NG but cannot find the
    details. Is this what I need?

    Any suggestions gratefully received.

    Thanks

    Andy T.

    Zogg, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Zogg

    Wes Newell Guest

    Next time, unplug power for 15 seconds, Then boot up holding the INS key
    down. If it doesn't work the first time, try again.
    The 2100+ will boot with the default bios settings.. Perhaps you didn't
    really clear the cmos. You also need to remove the power cable to the PS
    to clear the bios. But you really don't have to clear the bios to get it
    to boot. See above.
    I don't know. But you can find instructions in the link below.

    Wes Newell, Aug 2, 2003

  3. Zogg

    Zogg Guest

    Wes,

    Thanks for the reply - it's good to hear from the resident expert here
    :)

    Unfortunately that didn't help (I sat on the INS key for about 2
    minutes and it still wouldn't POST) and perhaps my question wasn't
    clear. I want to recover from a situation where I've made an
    adjustment to the BIOS that the CPU can't tolerate and subsequently
    refuses to POST. Holding the INS key down during power-up forces the
    clock to 6 x100MHz (I think) which is fine for a TBird but for the
    TBred, this would be 14x100MHz which doesn't work :(

    Anybody know why 14x 100 doesn't work but 20x 100 does?

    Perhaps one of the the wire links you describe will do the job
    although it's a bit confusing to follow - I'll need to get some P/O
    diagrams of the CPU socket and find out where these pins are and find
    a way to put a small conductive link in there.

    Thanks

    Andy T.

    Zogg, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Zogg

    Wes Newell Guest

    This is strange. It's defaults to 20x100 here, not 6x100. I've never heard
    of a KT7A defaulting to 6x multiplier with a Tbred B core that has a
    default multiplier of 13 or higher. Did you modify the board or cpu in any
    way?
    It's the way the board was designed. You can get the 14 multiplier to work
    by doing the mod in the cross ref.
    Drop a fine piece of wire in the socket between the 2 holes, then plug
    cpu in. I've had to do that on boards that don't provide for changing
    values.
    Here's some links that might help.

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

    http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/

    http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/mother/index.html

    Wes Newell, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Zogg

    Zogg Guest

    Wes,

    Sorry I think we are talking at cross-purposes again. I have no idea
    what the default for the 2100+ is as it won't POST under the default
    conditions. because the TBird (not TBred) defaults to 6 x 100, I
    assume that the same settings would boot the TBird at 14x100 - as I
    stated in my last message. I don't think I said the TBird booted at 6
    x 100. The talk of TBirds and TBreds is confusing :)

    Anyway, onward and upward :)

    Thanks for the Links

    Andy T.

    Zogg, Aug 3, 2003
  6. Zogg

    Zogg Guest

    It is a B core - stepping code AIUHB. I'll do some further tests -
    something has got to make sense eventually.

    Thanks for all your help - it is much appreciated.

    Andy T.

    Zogg, Aug 3, 2003