    or will a repair install adapt XP to the new motherboard and chipset?

    Thanks in advance,

    Don Christine

    Don Christine, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Don Christine

    j.burghdoff Guest

    Most of the changes will be with the drivers for these new componets. I
    believe your going to be far better off with doing the clean install of
    XP. The repair wouldn't have the files to fix due to them not being
    installed in the first place. You could try just putting it all
    together and booting it up. Letting XP detect the new hardware, the
    only drawback to this is that you may have too many changes for HAL
    requiring you to call Uncle Bill in Redmond for authorization. Doing
    the clean install would eliminate this possiblilty.

    j.burghdoff, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Nope.

    XP is incredible. I removed a harddisk with an XP Pro-installation to a
    completely new computer. Booted. Waitede for abot 10 minutes - and
    everything was recognized and accepted, and I could use the PC without
    any problems.

    BR
    Finn A. Hansen

    Hansen & Bennetsen, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Your mileage may vary. You may find, as per the other reply you've received,
    that it'll work straight away, or with a certain amount of plug and play-ing
    after installation. However, given the magnitude of the hardware change
    you're proposing, it's more likely that your first attempt to boot will be
    greeted by a BSOD, and in that case, yes, a "repair" installation will get
    you going again, you won't need to do a full wipe and reinstall.

    However, note that a "repair" will require the reinstallation of any service
    packs and patches released since your XP CD, and also note that Windows
    Update won't always give you an accurate idea of what's installed. Thus, you
    may find it more convenient to make a clean break and go for the full
    reinstall, at least then you know where you stand!
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Ahem. XP is a clever OS, but it is still a HAL based OS.
    Not everybody fares so well. Changing from a motherboard with manufacturer
    x's chipset to one with manufacturer y's chipset, as Don wants to do, is
    normally one of the scenarios that requires a repair install.

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 17, 2004