    as the OS disk, only for additional storage). Is there any way I can
    get the data off the raid drives? I'd preferably like to hook them to
    my second computer, but am open to any suggestions to retrieve my data!

    Tookeey, Nov 28, 2005

  2. Tookeey

    Paul Guest

    IC7-MAX3

    Intel 875P / ICH5R (2 SATA Ports)
    SIL3114 (4 SATA Ports)

    P4P800-E Deluxe

    Intel 865PE / ICH5R (2 SATA Ports)
    Promise PDC20378 (2 SATA Ports)

    If the original RAID 0 array was on the ICH5R (the Intel),
    connect it to the ICH5R on the P4P800-E.

    If, on the other hand, the array was on the SIL3114, you
    have more of a problem. Whether it would work, has to do
    with the definition of the reserved sector. The reserved
    sector is where the disk identity info is stored. When
    the RAID BIOS executes during POST, it examines the disks
    seen on the ports, and decides, based on the info it finds,
    which disk is arrayed with which other disk. Whether it
    is a RAID 0 or a RAID 1 and so on. It also registers an
    INT13 service, such that when the BIOS says "any bootable
    devices", the RAID BIOS and RAID chip know how to get data
    off the RAID array.

    One solution, would be to purchase a SIL3114 RAID card and
    plug it into the P4P800-E. That should be perfectly seamless,
    and if you are using the old boot disk, to start the P4P800-E,
    then the SIL3114 drivers from the other board, should still
    be available to run the SIL3114 PCI card.

    I'm having trouble finding a bargain version of this board.
    Normally these are dirt cheap.

    http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=PCISATA4R1&mt=P40

    OK, via Pricewatch, there is one here for $25. Syba versions
    are usually pretty cheap. (The difficulty finding these,
    would almost suggest their time is done. Zero profit on a
    $25 board.)

    http://www.buildtoorderservers.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=118&idproduct=312

    I'm unaware of any web sites that carry info on the format of
    reserved sectors, and what brands of RAID chips are interchangable.
    I suppose looking at some Linux source code might be enlightening
    on the subject, assuming there are any drivers for RAID
    chips with open source. When products come with binary only
    drivers, their secret is safe.

    An alternative, would be to find a board with a SIL3112
    on it. It _should_ work, if the computer with the SIL3112
    on it has a RAID driver loaded in the OS. It really all
    depends on whether the reserved sector shares a common
    format between the two chips (3112, 3114). Physically, a
    SIL3114 is just two SIL3112 chips bolted side by side (that
    is what the datasheet shows), but there is always room for
    some genius to make the firmware or software incompatible.
    That is why I'm recommending you look for a SIL3114 PCI card
    first - if you cannot find a PCI card or motherboard with
    one of those, then a SIL3112 is your next choice.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 28, 2005