Abit Motherboard owners....will you install an Abit MB next time around ?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by John Lewis, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
    new PC system for their personal use before the end of this year
    (2005):-

    Do you intend to use an Abit motherboard again ?

    If so, why ?

    And if not, what are you contemplating as an alternative and what
    advantages (and disadvantages) does it have vis a vis an Abit
    offering ?

    John Lewis

    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    John Lewis, Jun 27, 2005

  2. That's a slightly difficult question to answer without the use of crystal
    balls John, any chance of a lend of yours? :)

    *If* I build a new system for my own use, the one thing that is certain is
    that it won't be well towards the end of the year, and thus the chances are
    that the processor(s) and board I end up using aren't even on the market
    yet.

    As such, it is impossible to tell you what I will use, as I'll look at
    what's available at the time and specify the components according to what I
    think will do the best job. It'll be interesting to hear others' views.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Jun 27, 2005

  3. John Lewis

    Flintstone Guest

    Nope, I have only ever used Abit but am disappointed that they do not
    produce a mobo that has 64 bit PCI for Desktop systems.

    They are starting to produce PCIe mobos but most people will want to
    make a transition and PCI-X would solve this issue as you can also
    plug your old cards into the slot without any problems.

    Abit, I want an Athlon 3200+ compatible mobo (Dual CPU would be fine as
    long as I could plug just one in until I buy the other) with 64Mhz 64
    bit PCI slots, PCIe, AGP 8x and I do not care what other features you
    have.

    If they released a mobo with that spec. people could buy them and
    gradually upgrade their old cards to make a transition.

    The problem with it is that PCI-X / PCI Cards are not compatible with
    PCIe so when the new mobos are using PCIe the old cards would still be
    out of date.

    Maybe a solution would be to produce a PCI to PCIe interface?

    Abit or not? to me it depends who fills our needs first.

    Flintstone, Jun 27, 2005
  4. That's a slightly difficult question to answer without the use of crystal
    balls John, any chance of a lend of yours? :)

    *If* I build a new system for my own use, the one thing that is certain is
    that it won't be well towards the end of the year, and thus the chances are
    that the processor(s) and board I end up using aren't even on the market
    yet. If what Abit offer at the time looks good I'll use it. If someone
    else's board looks a better bet for what I want to do I'll use that. It's a
    simple enough issue to evaluate.

    As such, it is impossible to tell you this far ahead of time what I will
    use, as I'll look at what's available at the time and specify the components
    according to what I think will do the best job. However, as I'm in the
    lucky position of being able to use someone else's money to specify computer
    systems in the meantime, I'll be able to base my own selection on practical
    experience rather than just browsing reviews and product info, which is
    nice.

    Richard Hopkins, Jun 27, 2005
  5. 64 bit PCI and desktop (i.e. *volume* desktop) is an oxymoron. The faster
    variants of conventional PCI have always been niche products and getting
    pissy at Abit for this state of affairs is a little pointless, seeing as
    it's not actually their fault.
    Eh? WTF are you talking about? Current PCIe boards are invariably equipped
    with 32 bit 33MHz PCI slots... which people can plug their legacy PCI cards
    into without any problems. The only reason you're bitching and moaning about
    wanting "long" PCI on a desktop motherboard is because you didn't sort your
    head out before wasting a load of money on a 64 bit PCI RAID card.

    Sorry bud, but no mainstream mainboard manufacturer is going to spend their
    product development budget to develop a board that compensates for your
    itchy credit card finger, no matter how much you scweam and shout. You
    fucked up, stop whining and move on.
    Why don't you try saying "please"?
    No such thing chap. Didn't you mean 66MHz 64 bit?
    An I can hear their answer echoing down the corridor already. There are
    products from other manufacturers that will get close to what you want. If
    you're so desperate to make use of this rather pointless RAID card (you have
    already been given details of technically superior solutions), and must have
    an Abit badge on it, go buy yourself an Abit sticker and bung it on the Tyan
    or whatever board you end up buying.
    Rofl. The people who want to upgrade from PCI to PCIe can do exactly that
    with the conventional PCI slots that are invariably offered on contemporary
    PCI Express motherboards. There's simply no need to offer PCI64/66 or PCI-X
    on mainstream desktop products, because hardly any desktop users will have
    fastPCI hardware.
    Shall I point out the obvious mistake in this comment?
    ....and just how many desktop customers do you think there are with PCI-X or
    PCI64/66 capable cards out there?
    ....and what's the point of that when PCIe boards invariably have PCI slots
    on them? Why feck about with "converters" when all you have to do is slot in
    your card?
    I'm sure Abit would be gutted if you went and bought someone else's board.
    Another clueless d1ckhead permanently attached to their tech support lines
    is something they can probably live without.

    Richard Hopkins, Jun 27, 2005
  6. John Lewis

    GlassVial Guest

    For those Abit MB owners in this newsgroup contemplating building a
    I got my latest 2 Abit boards because I got a deal. If another decent
    deal came along with different mobos (that still fit my needs) would I
    go with it? Probably. As it sits right now it's going to be a long
    time before I have to upgrade again.

    I can assure you I'd never touch another Asus board again, though. :)

    -GV

    GlassVial, Jun 27, 2005
  7. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    I don't have one either. I shall be building a new system in about 4
    months, so I do have some interest in the answer.
    That has done me no harm at all in the past, especially receiving
    user-experience information, from people such as yourself.
    So, if you were building a desktop system right now, which
    would be your (say) top four MB recommendations, 2 for Intel
    and 2 for AMD... with some future-proofing in mind ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jun 27, 2005
  8. John Lewis

    farmuse Guest

    yes, they are one of the best and both of my systems are very stable

    farmuse, Jun 27, 2005
  9. John Lewis

    Tim R. Guest

    I'll definitely look at Abit 1st. I've more good Abits than bad. And
    some of the good ones have been steller.

    Haven't posted here in a good while. That's because the BD7 / P 1.6A
    combo currently in my main system has been absolutely perfect. So good
    that I've had little desire to upgrade, though I traditionally upgrade
    every 6 months or so. I've never kept a setup as my primary PC for a
    year, much less the 2 years I've enjoyed the current setup.

    Tim R., Jun 27, 2005
  10. I built systems using two or three Asus boards over the years. I found them
    to be excellent performers, though the manuals were bad, and often the "case
    connectors" were often mislabeled. Minor annoyances for an otherwise good
    product. I now have two systems, one built on an Epox 8RDA+, which I've
    been very impressed with, manual and "case connectors" included. My second
    system is built on the NF7-S2, which I didn't realize isn't a good
    overclocker. No biggie, though, I just bought an Athlon XP3200+ and all is
    well. It's stable, and the manual is good, and all case connectors were
    properly labeled.

    I don't foresee building a new system before the end of 2005, but I will
    definitely look closely at all the boards out there, read reviews, etc.,
    before I plunk down my $$. If Abit has what I believe is the best board for
    my needs, I'll buy it. I was in a hurry when I got my NF7-S2, as it
    replaced a bad board (Biostar, which I only bought cuz at the time I needed
    a micro-ATX nForce2 board and wanted three RAM slots and Soundstorm.) I
    *know* I will never buy another Biostar board no matter what it offers.
    Anyway, in my rush to get a working system, I accidentally bought the NF7-S2
    instead of the NF7-S v2.0. Normally I take my time and choose all
    components very carefully. In this case, I had all the components, just
    needed a working board, and I goofed.... But now the system fills a
    different need, so neither Soundstorm nor micro-ATX were necessary. I've
    got my Epox overclocked, and it very occasionally reboots itself. My
    non-overclocked NF7-S2 is rock stable. (And yes, I realize I could
    overclock by boosting the FSB.)

    Anyway, why won't you ever touch an Asus board again? ...What did I miss?
    :)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Jun 28, 2005
  11. John Lewis

    Jim Guest

    John,
    Well, I just built an IC7-G MAX only a few months ago, AND the wife
    bought me a new laptop, so I'm currently set for a year or better.
    Most certainly I will!
    My IC7-G MAX is my 3rd Abit MoBo, whereas I've also had an Intel
    AL440LX, an MSI, and several other oddballs. Overall, for me, Abit is
    more well rounded (ease of use, ease of OC'ing, decent MoBo manual,
    great stability, timely BIOS updates, etc.). Compared to the other
    brands, I feel most comfortable with Abit.

    I finally have a job where I could buy any brand MoBo & accessories I
    want. What I won't do is jump into the 'bleeding edge' realm, so I'm
    comfy as is with Abit's current offerings.

    Jim, Jun 28, 2005
  12. John Lewis

    Flintstone Guest

    Heck Richard, I guess you didn't get any last night.

    There is no need to flame me like that ... or to insult me in the way
    you did.

    As it happens the RAID card gives excellent performance (I lose 15M per
    second because of the 33 bit PCI bus but I would not call that a waste
    considering the speed it runs.

    Upset with Abit? Not at all, I think they make great mobos but wish
    that manufacturers would provide for niche markets (But it makes no
    financial sense for them to do so).

    As far as converters ... Try to find a server mobo with AGP 8x ... not
    an easy job, An AGP to PCIe converter does exist and is called an ATOP.
    You are correct that PCI to PCIe is fairly pointless.

    You called me a 'clueless d1ckhead'. I have not provoked you or being
    rude but you make such an abusive comment. Previous to this I really
    respected you and your advice.

    No, I am not an expert when it comes to Server mobos and I admit that.
    I am tempted to tell you that you are an arrogant English git who gets
    off on thinking that he is intellectually superior to those around him
    and that is why you spend so much time in newsgroups & forums but I
    will resist doing so.

    If you are going to give people cr@p like that maybe you should not do
    it under your employers name DABS! Well ... we all live and learn :eek:)

    Flintstone, Jun 28, 2005
  13. John Lewis

    mrbisco Guest

    Nope.

    I will only buy Asus for now on. More stable. Less headache. I don't care
    about overclocking...I just want to plug it in and not worry.

    mrbisco, Jun 28, 2005
  14. On the contrary. Ask any newsgroup regular and they'll tell you that my
    approach is pretty consistent. If you post sensibly and learn from what you
    read here I'll respond as such. If you don't, well...
    I felt my comments were justified and still do. Unfortunately there are
    times when you've just got to call a spade a spade.
    On the contrary, there are a few manufacturers making niche products, but
    they tend to sell at niche prices. The trouble with what you're asking for
    is that it is basically a nonsense specification that no manufacturer, no
    matter how "niche", would ever offer at a price you would be remotely
    prepared to pay. Why offer a PCI64/66 or PCI-X bus on desktop motherboards
    to account for your add-in card when it's cheaper and better to incorporate
    an onboard SATA-RAID controller directly on the southbridge or a PCIe lane?
    As you've already been told, the practical performance difference between 4x
    and 8x AGP transfers is next to nothing. Unless you're benchmark-obsessed,
    you'll never notice the difference, so on the face of it there's no reason
    not to buy a "server" level board if you're desperate for a way to fully
    utilise your SATA card.
    I know you weren't rude as such, but there definitely was provocation. I
    called you a clueless dickhead because that's how you come across. A number
    of people responded to your original post with constructive suggestions, but
    you failed to take on board what you were told and carried on in exactly the
    same vein you did when you arrived, so either you're too up yourself to take
    on board what you learn, or it simply goes in one eye and out the other.
    ....In which case you're geographically clueless as well, seeing as my sig
    clearly indicates that I'm not English. Doh!
    ....and just how much time *do* I spend in newsgroups and forums? How do you
    know? In any case, what conclusions would you draw if you did know, one way
    or t'other? If you're going to try and slag me off old boy, at least try and
    find a line of attack that actually makes sense.
    dabs aren't my employers, what gave you that idea?

    Richard Hopkins, Jun 28, 2005
  15. John Lewis

    Flintstone Guest

    lol ... to be honest I only called you English to try to wind you up, I
    had had a long day ... I lived in Wales for a couple of years before I
    moved to Switzerland and it is a great place to live (I tried to learn
    the language but probably learned more by walking around Asda than any
    other method). Apologies if I offended you, I shouldn't have said it.
    Like I said, my main reason for posting in these forums is learning.

    It is definately cheaper to incorporate the RAID on the mobo but all
    onboard controllers that I know of use "Fake RAID" ... A mixture of
    hardware and software RAID. If you know of any mobos with on board
    "True Hardware" controllers then please let me know! Fake RAID
    generally produces lower performance and always limits the number of
    operating systems that can access the RAID device (True Hardware RAID
    devices are transparent to the OS and are controlled using plain
    vanilla SCSI drivers).

    It was the need for true hardware RAID and problems accessing the RAID
    controllers from Linux, OS/2 and Solaris that caused me to look into
    True Hardware RAID devices. The general consensus from the previous
    thread was that it was not worth using the RAID card on a 32 bit PCI
    bus but I have found that in practice I only lose 15MB per second using
    a 3 disk RAID 0 setup on a 32 bit bus as opposed to a 64 bit and this
    is an excellent result. It would be another story if I used a 4 disk
    setup though.

    You are right that I am disappointed that this card will most likely
    not be compatible with future mobos. This is not such a problem as I
    have a buyer for the RAID card when I want to sell it (actually because
    of the other thread).

    So from my side this was an excellent result. Thanks for the help and
    advice you give.

    Fred

    Flintstone, Jun 29, 2005
  16. John Lewis

    GTD Guest

    Yes, I loved my NF7-S, and the KG7-R it replaces, and both the BE6's I
    owned. I am using a DFI NF4 SLI DR right now, but if Abit comes up
    with a board I like when I'm in the upgrade mood, then hell yea I'll
    get one.
    I don't like the idea that there's no newsgroup for DFI Mainboards.
    And if there were, I don't like the idea that there wouldn't be any
    sheep jokes in it like this one. Anyways....
    I've been drinking fairly heavily this evening, and wanted to share a
    weird drink I accidentally discovered. I'm not sure what to call it,
    but it's basically a shot of tequilla with a bit of instant lemonade
    mix in it. I just wet the shotglass and do it up like they do the salt
    on the rim of a margaritta glass. Works out nice. Anyways, Tequilla (I
    like jose gold), and instant lemonade mix (I used country time), put
    them together, and well you can figure out the rest. I've had 9 of
    them and 6 or 7 beers and well, I really souldn't be allowed on usenet
    right now. Peace out mofos

    GTD, Jul 3, 2005
  17. You can cure both problems...

    Ouch! (that's your liver talking... if you still have one!)

    Brian Brunner, Jul 3, 2005
  18. John Lewis

    Fisher Guest

    It won't be Abit so long as they keep using those crappy fans on the
    NB. If they go with passive heatsinks on the NB then I will buy Abit
    again as Abit do make good mb's otherwise.

    Fisher, Jul 4, 2005
  19. About a year ago I built a new system using an Abit KV8-Max-3
    Motherboard and Athlon 64bit 3200+ CPU. The only problem I had was
    working out how to get the serial drives working, but that was just me
    not installing the correct drivers. I'm really pleased with the
    system and see no reason why I wouldn't consider another Abit mb in
    the future, although I'm hoping this one will last me for quite a
    while yet.

    Why do you ask?

    Tom

    Quin the Eskimo, Jul 5, 2005