ABIT NF7-M questions

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Gish, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Gish

    Gish Guest

    Hi guys-

    I'm new to building computers and just assembled a machine with:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton Core)
    ABIT NF7-M motherboard
    512mb Kingston PC2700 memory
    60gb Western Digital HD

    Everything is working fine but I want to be sure I'm getting maximum
    performance out of the equipment. (Although I'm NOT interested in
    overclocking yet)

    Specifically, in the BIOS, should I put the Onboard VGA Chip Frequency
    setting to its maximum, or does this strain the hardware? Also, I
    noticed that the CPU External Clock setting in the BIOS is 166mhz...
    can somebody explain what this setting means?

    I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

    Andrew

    Gish, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Gish

    Tom Guest

    Andrew,
    I hope you got 2 x 256mb memory sticks instead of one 512mb!
    -=tom=-

    Tom, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Yep, 2 sticks of ram in the appropriate slots to enable dual channel. 166mhz
    is your front side bus (333ddr).

    Lester Piglet, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Gish

    Gish Guest

    I'm aware of the dual channel, but I got a single 512mb stick for now,
    because I want my total to be 1gig.

    But, about the FSB, even though the processor can go higher (I forget
    whether it said 333mhz or 400mhz) is 166mhz a pretty standard speed?
    If so, what is the difference between processor fsb and mainboard fsb?

    Gish, Jul 8, 2003
  5. Gish

    Jef Norton Guest

    | I'm aware of the dual channel, but I got a single 512mb stick for now,
    | because I want my total to be 1gig.
    |
    | But, about the FSB, even though the processor can go higher (I forget
    | whether it said 333mhz or 400mhz) is 166mhz a pretty standard speed?
    | If so, what is the difference between processor fsb and mainboard fsb?

    Hi Gish -

    The Front Side Bus of the board is 133/166/200 MHz, Double Data Rate (DDR).
    This means that a 133 Front Side Bus speed of 133 supports a 266 MHz
    processor, a 166 FSB supports a 333 MHz processor and a 200 FSB supports a
    400 MHz processor.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Gish

    ZR Guest

    I don't have an answer to your question but since I am planning to buy
    the same board, could you please advise me where did you buy that
    NF7-M and what was your expertience with them ?

    Thnak you

    ZR

    ZR, Jul 13, 2003