    I know that the problem is not with the power supply or with the Ram chips.

    Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

    Foodini

    Foodini, May 22, 2007

  2. Foodini wrote:

    | I have two Abit NF7-S MB computers. One with an Athlon XP3000+
    | CPU (166 MHz x 13) and the other with an Athlon XP2600+ CPU
    | (166 x 11.5). Both have 2 gigs of memory. The CMOS readings of
    | PC Health status are normal EXCEPT for the -5V value which is
    | approximately -61.99 (it changes a little) on both systems.

    This is not an issue. Virtually no hardware makes use of the -5v and -12v
    rails these days. No load on the rail often equals wacky readings. Don't
    fret over this one.

    | The XP3000 system power cuts off suddenly when using ram intensive
    | programs like Cool Edit Pro 2.1 or Canopus Pro. The XP2600 system
    | is more stable and requires heavier application loads before it's power
    | cuts off.
    |
    | I have the "Shut down when CPU fails" enabled. I'm afraid to disable it
    | but it seems like this might be causing the shutdowns.
    |
    | I know that the problem is not with the power supply or with the Ram
    | chips.
    |
    | Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    |
    | Foodini

    Hi Foodini -

    You need to leave a little more meat on the bone before you'll get good
    advice on this one.

    I'll answer your query with more questions than answers.

    What is the BIOS PC Health reporting as to your CPU temp? More importantly,
    what is your CPU temp when booted to Windows? You could be overheating.
    You may need to clean your CPU core and HSF, reapply a thin coat of thermal
    compound and reinstall the HSF.

    Also .. do you have adequate airflow inside your case? This is also a cause
    of overheating. Might be time for cleaning out all the accumulated dust and
    cat hair, etc., and/or addition of additional cooling fan(s) to the case.

    What about the +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails. Are they fluctuating or remaining
    stable? Are they within 2-3% of their specification? Could be that you
    have problem PSUs.

    Cheap, generic or (most) came-with-the-case PSUs are the bane of most
    motherboards. Often they won't even permit the board to POST. Other times
    you'll run okie-dokie then, out of the blue, your system will crash when
    either doing CPU or I/O intensive tasks.

    With a nForce2 board you want at least 400 watts (combined) on the +12v, +5v
    and +3.3v rails. You also want good quality name brand units. Use the
    cheap junk for a door stop rather than risk it taking out the whole system.

    Finally .. this place has been pretty dead for a while. You might want to
    try the page dedicated to the nForce2 boards at http://forum.abit-usa.com.

    Jef

    Bird JanitorĀ®, May 22, 2007

  3. Foodini

    Patty Guest

    I've been running an Asus nForce2 board with an Enermax 350 watt power
    supply for three years now with no problems. I think it's more of being
    sure you get a good quality brand power supply than the amount of wattage.
    If I recall correctly, the NF7-S manual recommends a at least a 350 watt,
    20A +5VDC capacity power supply for a heavily loaded system.

    Patty

    Patty, May 24, 2007
  4. I have been using a PC Power & Cooling Turbo 350 atx for 3 yrs
    w/o any problems.

    Ron Marraccini, May 28, 2007