ABIT NF7-S QUICK QUESTION ABOUT RAID

Discussion in 'Abit' started by nestlefoyle, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. nestlefoyle

    nestlefoyle Guest

    Any other good nforce boards besides the nf7-s and the a7n8x

    Planning to get the Abit NF7-S Nforce 2 rev2 board and a barton 2500+
    cpu and 512MB of PC3200 400mhz samsung or infineon ram

    so i need 2 sticks 2x256MB to take advantage of the dual channel ddr
    memory right?

    or does this board not have the dual channel memory?

    is samsung better or infineon, it's like $10 difference i believe

    the cpu is at 333mhz fsb so even if i get 400mhz ram, the ram would
    only run at 333 correct? but then if i can o/c using a fsb of 200 then
    the ram would run at 400?

    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb...ories=1&model=6

    it says Serial ATA (Optional)
    - On board Serial ATA PCI Controller
    - Supports SATA data transfer rates 150MB/s (1.5G bps) and RAID-0
    - 2 x Serial ATA 150 Connectors

    I have 3 hard drives and 2 cd drives
    so how is this going to work? it has 2 serial ata connectors, but then
    i think it only comes with 1 adapter that is used to plug the IDE
    cable so then I can't plug all my 5 drives?

    is this the same on the asus a7n8x deluxe version? i have the asus
    board on my other comp, i think it has the 2 serial ata connectors but
    with no adaptor to plug IDE devices

    nestlefoyle, Sep 29, 2003

  2. You don't plug your ide cable into the adaptor, you use a sata cable.These
    boards have 2 ide controllers for 2 devices per controller and it has 2 sata
    controllers each taking 1 sata drive each or 1 ide drive each with adaptors,
    that's 6 altogether. As far as I am aware all Nforce2 boards utilise dual
    channel when 2 sticksof ram are inserted in the correct slots.Serial ata is
    standard issue on the NF7-S.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 30, 2003

  3. nestlefoyle

    Alan Guest

    Most of the manufacturers have launched Nforce 2 boards, Biostar has the
    least expensive, but you sacrifice some peripherals. Gigabyte is probably
    the most expensive and it is the largest pack.

    I am sure you can find them with a google search. I have more experience
    with the Abit, Asus and only a little with a Biostar board. My preference
    remains the Abit Nf7-S.

    Yes it does support dual channel DDR, I use OCZ memory, but Mushkin, GeiIL
    Corsair, TwinMos and others have received good comments amongst the
    newgroups. I had a problem with my first Nforce with Samsung memory so I
    cannot recommend it, (however OCZ remark selected Samsung chips and sell
    their memory at a premium).
    PC3200 should achieve a FSB200, PC3500 is rated for 217FSB. Your Barton
    should achieve 200FSB or better with PC3200.

    Hope this helps,

    Alan

    Alan, Sep 30, 2003
  4. nestlefoyle

    nestlefoyle Guest

    hm...so can i plug all 5 of my devices onto the board right out of the
    box, or do i have to go buy adaptors?? i thought it comes with 1
    adaptor but to plug 1 device?

    nestlefoyle, Sep 30, 2003
  5. You have 5 devices so you can use them all straight away as the board, as
    you say, comes with 1 adaptor. (Serillel)

    Lester Piglet, Sep 30, 2003
  6. nestlefoyle

    nestlefoyle Guest

    wouldn't having 2 hard drives in 1 channel be slower? i always
    thought its faster to have each hard drive on its own channel is
    faster?

    nestlefoyle, Sep 30, 2003
  7. nestlefoyle

    Skid Guest

    Used to be true, but not any more.

    Skid, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Putting devices of different speeds on the same controller will make the
    faster device run as slow as the slower device. If you get my drift. For
    instance, a cdrom and a hard drive on the same controller is usually a no-no
    as the cdrom will slow the hard drive.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 30, 2003
  9. nestlefoyle

    Skid Guest

    That used to be true, but not any more. Current motherboards and controllers
    read each drive's speed independently. You can, for example, put an ATA 100
    and ATA 133 on the same channel, or a hard drive and a CD, and each will
    perform at full speed.

    Skid, Sep 30, 2003
  10. Good to know, ta.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 30, 2003
  11. There is a little more to it than remarking selected chips. Go to the OCZ
    site for how they construct their high-end modules.

    R.G. Saunders, Nov 24, 2003