Abit NF7-S V2.0, BIOS, v27 With the embedded Silicone Image SATA BIOS 4.2.7.6.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Joe, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hi,

    I have an Abit NF7-S V2.0. with the latest BIOS, v27 With the embedded
    Silicone Image SATA BIOS 4.2.5.0.

    Since then there has since been a new NF7-S v2 Silicome Image SATA BIOS. The
    BIOS is still v27 but he SATA BIOS is ver 4.2.7.6. Dont know what the new
    SATA Bios corrects but since I have a BIOS Savior I can get out of any
    trouble I get into.

    In an upgrade project I upgraded my Hard Drives to a "matched' pair of
    Western Digital SATAII 16Meg Cache 250Gig hard drives. I promptly put these
    in Raid0 (first try)

    Raid0 with the two WD 250Gig was generally OK but I noted I started getting
    a LOT of disk errors. Paranoia forced a new format and reinstall as 2
    separate drives.

    Though all has been fine since then I once again have the urge to try my
    luck at RAID.

    The internet available hack bios with the imbeded 4.2.7.6.SI Bios does not
    like my machine. All appears fine until reboot at which time the 4276 Bios
    refuses to install properly and fails.Anyone have any info on the reasons
    why it fails to install and work?

    Does anyone here know where (if) I could get a "corrected" bios that will
    install and operate? Anyone have any info on the reasons why it fails to
    install and work?

    Barring this how does one "hack" the BIOS so I could have a try at "Modding"

    To ensure I get everything right could someone tell me what the "best"
    settings to use to avoid all the HD errors?

    Any assistance appreciated

    Joe, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Joe

    0_Qed Guest

    Joe wrote:
    ....snip...

    :)
    Damn good <?> , no assist "here", just a comment.

    Dontya just "love" a modula BIOS ,
    with various/sundry 'configs' of modules embedded ...
    without much configuration 'ID' at the assemblage top ???
    JFB.

    'Jef' mite be along to help ... ( 1 'f' )

    Qed.

    PS- Good 'docs', btw.

    0_Qed, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Joe wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | I have an Abit NF7-S V2.0. with the latest BIOS, v27 With the
    | embedded Silicone Image SATA BIOS 4.2.5.0.
    |
    | Since then there has since been a new NF7-S v2 Silicome Image
    | SATA BIOS. The BIOS is still v27 but he SATA BIOS is ver 4.2.7.6.
    | Dont know what the new SATA Bios corrects but since I have a BIOS
    | Savior I can get out of any trouble I get into.
    |
    | In an upgrade project I upgraded my Hard Drives to a "matched' pair
    | of Western Digital SATAII 16Meg Cache 250Gig hard drives. I
    | promptly put these in Raid0 (first try)
    |
    | Raid0 with the two WD 250Gig was generally OK but I noted I started
    | getting a LOT of disk errors. Paranoia forced a new format and reinstall
    | as 2 separate drives.
    |
    | Though all has been fine since then I once again have the urge to try
    | my luck at RAID.
    |
    | The internet available hack bios with the imbeded 4.2.7.6.SI Bios does
    | not like my machine. All appears fine until reboot at which time the 4276
    | Bios refuses to install properly and fails.Anyone have any info on the
    | reasons why it fails to install and work?
    |
    | Does anyone here know where (if) I could get a "corrected" bios that
    | will install and operate? Anyone have any info on the reasons why it
    | fails to install and work?
    |
    | Barring this how does one "hack" the BIOS so I could have a try at
    | "Modding"
    |
    | To ensure I get everything right could someone tell me what the "best"
    | settings to use to avoid all the HD errors?
    |
    | Any assistance appreciated

    Hi Joe -

    Modding in a different SATA BIOS is actually pretty easy.

    Link on over to http://www.biosmods.com and pick up CBROM from their
    download utilities area. I've used version 2.15 a lot.

    From DOS or a command prompt, the syntax to see what's inside your
    motherboard BIOS:

    CBROM biosname.bin /d

    To replace the embedded SATA controller, the syntax is:

    CBROM biosname.bin /PCI satabiosname

    There are multiple PCI device BIOS' embedded in most modern motherboard BIOS
    releases. Because of this CBROM will prompt you to enter a number to select
    which PCI device you wish to change out. Be very careful that you choose
    the correct one.

    Also when changing out SATA BIOS' it's not necessary to have the old
    embedded file name match the new one (I generally encode the file name with
    the version number so I can go back later and display what's there).

    Unlike Modbin6, CBROM works nifty from a Command Prompt on NTFS volumes.

    As to your data corruption issues ..

    You say you've got SATA II drives. Is there a jumper limiting them to SATA
    I performance? If so, set it.

    Also .. have you installed the matching SATA driver release to the SATA BIOS
    release? This is essential, especially when one release corrects bugs in
    the previous.

    Since you have a BIOS Savior installed on the machine, you're good to go to
    play with setting up a RAID array. Just make certain that you don't have
    any non-backed-up data there in case corruption rears it's ugly head.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks for the info. For as many posts I have seen from folks talking about
    the new SATA BIOS I have never seen anyone say just what the new BIOS
    corrects. Wierd.

    I have not had the chance to give your technique a try yet but your
    description was so compleat I do not doubt that, if anything will work, your
    method will.

    Thanks again.

    Joe, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Joe wrote:

    | Thanks for the info. For as many posts I have seen from folks talking
    | about the new SATA BIOS I have never seen anyone say just what the
    | new BIOS corrects. Wierd.
    |
    | I have not had the chance to give your technique a try yet but your
    | description was so compleat I do not doubt that, if anything will work,
    | your method will.
    |
    | Thanks again.

    Hi Joe -

    Happy to help.

    Unfortunately the readme at the source doesn't provide any help. You might
    find what you're looking for poking around the Silicon Image website,
    though:

    BIOS -
    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=63&cid=15&ctid=2&osid=0

    Drivers -
    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=63&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=4

    Don't fiddle around with their BIOS update tool .. it's for add-on cards
    only (and not embedded BIOS').

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Mar 29, 2006