    with no video signal and hard drive light flashing.

    Motherboad BIOS is latest v22 and video card BIOS is whatever was
    shipped.

    DDD, Feb 21, 2004

  2. DDD

    Y-Grl Guest

    I thought 1 beep meant successful POST, 2 beeps would mean a problem, you
    will have to check the beep codes.
    (assuming it's an Award BIOS)

    AWARD BIOS beep sound Messages
    1 short (beep): System booting is normal
    2 short (beep): CMOS setting error
    1 long - 1 short (beep): DRAM error
    1 long - 2 short (beep): Display card or monitor connection error
    1 long - 3 short (beep): Keyboard error
    1 long - 9 short (beep): ROM error
    long (beep) continous: DRAM hasn't been inserted correctly
    short (beep) continous: Power supply has a problem

    not sure if these are still applicable though.
    HTH.

    Y-Grl, Feb 23, 2004

  3. DDD

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Hi,
    |
    | Just wondering if anyone is experiencing no video signal on the
    | occasional cold-boot using the above combination?
    |
    | Everything worked fine with the old nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200.
    |
    | Normal sequence on a successful power-on is a "beep" followed by a
    | second "beep" from the motherboard.
    |
    | On a non-succesfull boot, the second beep is not heard and is left
    | with no video signal and hard drive light flashing.
    |
    | Motherboad BIOS is latest v22 and video card BIOS is whatever was
    | shipped.

    I'd suspect that the PSU isn't beefy enough to reliably power up your
    power-hungry motherboard and power-hungry video card.

    Who makes your PSU? What is the rated wattage (total and on each of the
    rails - should be on a label on the PSU)?

    NF7 boards prefer a good quality PSU, generally exceeding 400 watts.
    Examples of good quality PSU's (by no means inclusive): PC Power & Cooling,
    Enermax, Antec.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Feb 23, 2004
  4. DDD

    Jef Norton Guest

    | I thought 1 beep meant successful POST, 2 beeps would mean a problem, you
    | will have to check the beep codes.
    | (assuming it's an Award BIOS)
    |
    | AWARD BIOS beep sound Messages
    | 1 short (beep): System booting is normal
    | 2 short (beep): CMOS setting error
    | 1 long - 1 short (beep): DRAM error
    | 1 long - 2 short (beep): Display card or monitor connection error
    | 1 long - 3 short (beep): Keyboard error
    | 1 long - 9 short (beep): ROM error
    | long (beep) continous: DRAM hasn't been inserted correctly
    | short (beep) continous: Power supply has a problem
    |
    | not sure if these are still applicable though.
    | HTH.

    Hi Y-Grl -

    NF7's beep once from the system speaker (like the normal "A-ok" POST beep)
    and again from the system speakers when the on-board audio is enabled -
    usually a split second later.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Feb 23, 2004
  5. DDD

    DDD Guest

    Hi,

    Yes thanks, I checked the BIOS beep codes when I first encountered it.
    I think the lack of the second beep (called first?) is the problem.

    The first and second are different sounding and yes, a second or two
    separates them.

    DDD.

    PS. I notice there is another DDD posting. Apologies for using the
    name. Newbie on forums I am. :)

    DDD, Feb 23, 2004
  6. DDD

    DDD Guest

    Hi Jef,

    PSU is a Antec 350W SmartPower (SmartBlue). Not sure what you mean by
    rails etc. though.

    Bits in PC are:

    1 x AMD Barton 2500+
    2 x 512MB PC3200
    1 x FDD
    1 x HDD
    1 x Nebula DigiTV PCI card
    1 x Belkin PCI wireless network card
    1 x DVD-ROM
    1 x CD-RW
    1 x 9600XT (which has replaced the Ti4200)

    DDD.

    DDD, Feb 23, 2004
  7. DDD

    Y-Grl Guest

    Cheers Jef,
    Hope to be getting one of these boards soon.
    Wonder why they chose to do it that way - seems potentially confusing.

    Y-Grl, Feb 23, 2004
  8. DDD

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Hi Jef,
    |
    | PSU is a Antec 350W SmartPower (SmartBlue). Not sure what you mean by
    | rails etc. though.
    |
    | Bits in PC are:
    |
    | 1 x AMD Barton 2500+
    | 2 x 512MB PC3200
    | 1 x FDD
    | 1 x HDD
    | 1 x Nebula DigiTV PCI card
    | 1 x Belkin PCI wireless network card
    | 1 x DVD-ROM
    | 1 x CD-RW
    | 1 x 9600XT (which has replaced the Ti4200)
    |
    | DDD.

    Hi DDD -

    Power "Rails" - as on my Antec TruePower 430:
    +5-volt: 36A - regulation +/- 3%
    +12-volt: 20A - regulation +/- 3%
    +3.3-volt: 28A - regulation +/- 3%
    -5-volt: .5A - regulation +/- 3% (not important for most systems)
    -12-volt: 1.0A - regulation +/- 3% (not important for most systems)
    +5VSB 2.0A - regulation +/- 5%

    Total Max. Output: 430W
    +5V, +12V, +3.3V Max. Output: 410W

    If you still have the booklet that came with your PSU, all the information
    above is printed there. If not, it's on a label on the PSU itself.

    You've got a bunch of power-hungry hardware in your box and, IMO, a PSU
    that's a little on the light side, especially when first starting it up -
    which is when you generally need the maximum horsepower of your PSU. Your
    PSU is under the greatest amount of stress when bringing all your devices to
    life at once.

    Your new video card seems to have been the straw that broke the camel's
    back, putting you over the edge of your PSU's capabilities.

    You've got good quality in your Antec PSU - but you're a little on the light
    side for total wattage. You're able to start after failing the first try
    and pressing the reset switch probably because your drives have already had
    a chance to spin up, so you're minimizing the initial surge with the second
    attempt. If funds are tight, you probably can limp along with the reset
    switch approach for a while, but I personally would look into a beefier PSU
    as soon as practical.

    My own NF7-M board doesn't even have an add-on video card (I opted for the
    board with on-board video for economic reasons as I don't use the system for
    gaming and 64 MB of shared video memory is adequate for my uses, which
    consists primarily of PhotoShop graphics). My TruePower 430 was the minimum
    I would consider adequate for my two HDD, combo CD-RW/DVD, FDD, XP 2700+,
    2-512MB DDR box. My only add-on card is a modem.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Feb 23, 2004
  9. DDD

    Jef Norton Guest

    | Cheers Jef,
    | Hope to be getting one of these boards soon.
    | Wonder why they chose to do it that way - seems potentially confusing.

    Hi Y-Grl -

    I agree - I was caught off-guard when I first powered up my own system. My
    first response was "WTF" and then the POST screen displayed and my rig
    roared to life. I learned later that it's normal for the NF7 boards to
    double-beep and have come to expect it.

    I've built three NF7-S - based systems for others and found it's a great
    board. It's very fussy about quality of RAM and PSU, but otherwise it's a
    great board and very overclockable. My own NF7-M system, though suffering
    in the ability to overclock significantly due to the on-board video, has
    been the most reliable I've ever run for my own uses.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Feb 23, 2004
  10. DDD

    DDD Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:01:47 GMT, "Jef Norton"

    ---8<---
    Hi Jef,
    +5V, +3.3V and +12V combined max. output: 330W
    +5V, +3.3V combined max. output: 230W

    I guess it is sadly lacking. I also use 2 fan headers, so that
    doesn't help either.
    I wish it was easy as that. :-( I have to hold the power button for 4
    seconds for it to turn off and then wait, power-on, no second beep,
    hold button... etc. This became very tiresome. It once took about 30
    goes before it fired up. If I could predict when it would start, I'd
    win the Lotto.

    So; I have given up and taken the thing out and put it into the slower
    P4 (good old ABIT TH7-II) and swapped the Ti4200 back in. Everything
    working now which doesn't cause any blood vessels from popping in my
    forehead.
    I think your 430 will last you a good while. I only got the Antec 350
    off a friend who bought a Super LanBoy with it, but chose to use a PSU
    similar to yours.

    Anyway, cheers and thanks for the help.
    DDD.

    DDD, Feb 24, 2004
  11. DDD

    Jef Norton Guest

    Hi DDD -

    Happy to help. It's unfortunate there wasn't a way to solve the problem
    short of not getting to use your new card with your NF7-S until you upgrade
    your PSU. But at least you have a box you can use it in until you have the
    funds available for an upgrade.

    One of the reasons behind my decision to have my house rewired was my own
    computer system popping the fuse. I was afraid of burning my 80 year old
    house (and cooking the kangaroo rats in the crawlspace who had chewed most
    of the insulation off the wires) with the old knob and tube wiring. Prior
    to the rewiring it was frequently touch and go whether the computer would
    boot or the fuse would blow. ... So frustration with power led to a few
    popped veins in my forehead as well.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Feb 24, 2004
  12. DDD

    DDDD Guest

    DDD, I am also new to the group and I used DDD. I have changed mine to
    DDDD, so go ahead and use DDD.

    Don Dunlap

    DDDD, Feb 27, 2004