    Yahoo Messenger: rawlic

    "We live our life in our own way / Never really listen to what they say /
    The kind of faith that doesn't fade away / WE ARE THE TRUE BELIEVERS!"

    Kris Rawlison, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Kris Rawlison

    rms Guest

    The DFI is quite expensive I hear.

    rms

    rms, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Kris Rawlison

    Apollo Guest

    Hi Kris,

    I started out with a A7N8X dlx and it was just about stable at 200, pretty
    crap really, highest oc was 2.4GHx on air. Went out and got myself a NF7-S
    2.0 hoping to get higher. ;-)

    I've had my nf7-s for a couple of weeks now and still can't get much over
    200, I'll have to play around more as I think I should be stable at 220.
    Current set-up is;
    NF7-S
    Barton 2500 @ 2503MHz
    1.9vcore, case 20C, socket 42C, (core 52-55C estimated).
    12.5 x 200 cas 2
    Corsair twinx 2x512 PC3200 LL
    Zalman CNPS7000A-CU
    Vantec Stealth 550w psu

    2.5GHz is fast enough for me, but I would like to get to fsb around 220, no
    experience of the DFI NFII Ultra Infinity though.

    Apollo, Feb 21, 2004
  4. do,

    Hi,
    I used the NF7-S for a few months, very good board. Didn't use a DFI yet
    but they got allot of support in the community. What are these voltage
    problems you heard about with the NF7-S?

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 21, 2004
  5. I heard that the NF7 has a problem with undervolting the CPU and overvolting
    RAM.

    Kris Rawlison, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Hi,
    oh I see. I thought of that more as a *quirk* than a problem. It's true
    though, the NF7-S does indeed add .05v to the vDimm and subtracts .05 from
    the vCore. So if I wanted my board to give out 1.75v I would have to set
    1.8v in BIOS.

    I think the NF7-S is particularly sensitive to different power supplies and
    +12v loads. I did have a fairly packed system (load wise) and was using
    just a 300w ANTEC PSU. System was rock solid when overclocked. Very god
    board. I am testing the newer nForce2 mobo from ABIT, the AN7, so far so
    good, but I didn't achieve the overclock I was aiming for yet, need another
    day to do more tests!

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 21, 2004
  7. These boards are all good, every one of them...

    As long as it's AMD, they want to keep the AGP Slot around a little longer,
    Intel wants to get rid of it to make room for
    something like 16 or 18x PCI Pro...
    an upgrade to PCI? Huh? YES....
    Denny............................0010 0010 Don't mean anything without a
    starting point.

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Kris Rawlison

    NAF Guest

    What's with this undervolting thing ?
    It's just lower than indicated, right ?
    Should that affect o/c'ing (rhet.) ?
    No.
    What DOES though, is voltage stability and board power regulation (assuming
    a good PSU) in general.
    That is all.
    Thankyou.

    NAF, Feb 22, 2004
  9. Kris Rawlison

    Leadfoot Guest

    If PCI espresso ;-) gets you 1000 more points in 3DMark03 then you sure as
    hell will want it

    Leadfoot, Feb 22, 2004
  10. Kris Rawlison

    LBJGH Guest

    I had a sever undervolt problem with a NF7-S that could not be fixed by
    raising the vcore in the bios... it seem to max out at 1.85v no matter what
    I set in the bios.

    LBJGH, Feb 24, 2004
  11. Kris Rawlison

    Chip Guest

    They are both excellent boards, but the DFI is better. (I own both.)

    For any given voltage setting, the max MHz you will get out of the CPU is
    the same: For example, at 1.85v, my max stable CPU speed is 2420MHz in
    either board, using the same CPU and ram.

    **However**, the DFI has more adjustments and can run at *massively* higher
    FSB's. I have seen 10x280MHz on this board with Mushkin BH-5 ram - on air
    cooling! There is no way on the planet any nf7-s could ever do 280MHz FSB.
    300MHz FSB seems a distinct possibility on the DFI, which would be
    completely awesome.

    250~270MHz on the DFI is quite common, whereas most people top out at
    perhaps 220~230 MHz on the nf7-s.

    The DFI can push 3.3v into the dimms, but only 2.0v into the CPU. The nf7-s
    can do much less on the dimms, but more on the CPU. Whether you want more
    than 2.0v on the CPU depends on how extreme an overclocker you are and what
    cooling you have.

    Contrary to what another poster said, they are about the same price and have
    the same features more or less. The DFI has the 4 port SI3114 raid
    controller that will do raid 0+1, which the nf7-s won't do. Oh, I forgot,
    the raid0 performance of the DFI isn't quite as good for some strange
    reason. The writes are the same (circa 100MB/s with my 2 Maxtors), but the
    reads are down to 85MB/s from 103 on the Abit. Don't know why. But I can't
    really notice so I am not too bothered.

    Chip.

    Chip, Feb 24, 2004

  12. Hi,
    oh I see. Did you have a really loaded system (hard-disks, optical drives,
    multiple fans etc) and was you using a king-kong PSU?

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 24, 2004
  13. Kris Rawlison

    NAF Guest

    That's generally a heatsink rather than mobo issue.
    Try a copper Thermalright with 38mm fan, to increase chip voltagability.

    NAF, Feb 24, 2004
  14. And neither is the AGP CI (Advanced Graphics Peripheral Card Input) It has
    always been a pci slot just an advanced slot. They are already in the pipes
    with AMD to partner up with nVidia Gigabyte and Intel Rival VIA and they are
    currently already working on a 128 BIT CPU chipset AGP (Advanced Graphics
    Peripheral Card Input) AGPCI multi X4Basic Input Output System . Microsoft
    is Already finishing what should be a Kick Ass operating system to suit this
    is the fastest delivery of a never before seen architecture to ever come
    out of this industry and no one even knew MS were working on a 128 Bit
    Capable Windows OS we thought the revolution was slowing down but it has
    not even rolled a single turn.
    Looks like moores law is actually taking off by mid to end 2007 you will
    be in control of processors well capable of 13 to 15 GHz CPU speed well
    ahead of today's standards/late last year 2003 there was a 10 GHZ (yeah
    right) Intel chip rumoured that is not happening since Intel did not Expect
    AMD to release a 64 bit single chip version XP64 of the Opteron this has set
    intel back some what I do not think PCI Express will Be around for much
    longer considering people are a bit mixed up about their technologies and i
    can not blame them with all the crossover sales is it PCIXpress or PCI
    Express either way they (INTEL) chop and change they have now released To
    many processor chipset configurations in the last 3 years that's just for DT
    PC's not including the thin client variants. is this Already happening or
    mere speculation we will have to see. "Of course it is "

    Very Cheap Computers, Feb 26, 2004
  15. Kris Rawlison

    Chip Guest

    And hows it going to do that when there's hardly any traffic across the AGP
    bus anyway? Ever seen the difference in benchies between AGP 4x and AGP 8x?
    Like 0.0001 nanosquirts.

    Chip.

    Chip, Feb 27, 2004