Abit NF7-S2G shutdown problem..

Discussion in 'Abit' started by StanDK, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. StanDK

    StanDK Guest

    I bought a Abit NF2-S2G motherboard.

    I make a CMOS reset on the board, and let the BIOS setup be default.
    I adjust the cpu clock frq. from 100Mhz (default) to 200Mhz = 400FSB,
    and then I save the settings, and exit.

    The problem are as follow:
    The PC close suddenly down, and gives me a two-toned sirene like a
    "firesirene", a short time after a have left the BIOS setup.

    I have change all hardware to new items. GFX Card, Ram, CPU, PSU and
    HDD, and still have the problem.
    The temperature is not the fault.

    I flash the BIOS with the new one (version. 13) from the homesite, but
    still got the problem.

    My Computer:
    AMD Athlon 3200+ Barton.
    Nvidia Geforce 3 TI200 - 64DDR.
    Geil 512 PC3200 Ram.
    Coolermaster Aero 7.

    I get the board exchange with another Abit NF7-S2G in the pc store,
    and hope there could be a defect on th first board i got.
    I install the new board, but the problem was still the same.

    Could it be a big bug or production fail from the manufacturer of the
    board "Abit" ??

    I have spend 14 days with all my testing but still without results.

    I have read on the internet from other Abit users, they had written on
    a forum that the NF7-S2G board is shitty and the NF7-S2G was coming
    all to quick on the market, but i think it can´t be true...

    Whats the problem ? please..

    StanDK

    StanDK, Jan 2, 2005

  2. StanDK

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Does it siren and shut down if you stay in the BIOS (at 200 Mhz)?

    Does it siren and shut down if you leave it at 100 MHz?

    Could you go into detail about what your seeing to say that
    temperature is not the fault?

    What is the cpu voltage setting?

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On 2 Jan 2005 12:06:17 -0500,

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Jan 3, 2005

  3. StanDK

    rms Guest

    I would raise Vdimm and Vchipset to the maximum setting, and Vcore slightly
    above stock, and loosen memory timings to say 10-3-3-2.5. This kind of
    thing takes some experimentation. Don't depend on the bios autodetecting
    the right settings.

    rms

    rms, Jan 3, 2005
  4. StanDK

    iamnotme Guest

    StanDK ...

    Need some more info ...

    What PSU are you using ... power (or lack of enuf of it) are often at fault.
    and ...
    What are your voltage settings (in the bios ... ram, chipset, and cpu)?
    and ...
    You have some decent ram; do you have 1-512mb stick or 2-256mb strips?
    and ... what are your ram timings set at (in the bios)?

    g'luck

    iamnotme, Jan 3, 2005
  5. StanDK

    iamnotme Guest

    Hope this mite help 'ya ... Thanks to ocforums.com for providing the
    information

    Basic Beep Codes for ABIT AWARD BIOS Motherboards

    1. No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due
    to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM,
    or a dead-on-arrival board
    2. One beep - board is working fine
    3. One long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly
    installed or missing CPU
    4. 1 short(Beep) System booting is normally
    5. 2 short(Beep) CMOS setting error
    6. 1 long - 1 short(Beep) DRAM ERROR
    7. 1 long - 2 short(Beep) Display card or monitor connected error
    8. 1 long - 3 short(Beep) Keyboard Error
    9. 1 long - 9 short(Beep) ROM Error
    10. Long(Beep) continuous DRAM isn't inserted correctly
    11. Short(Beep) continuous POWER supply has a problem
    12. A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of
    specification voltages
    13. Four beeps then machine shuts down. This is because this version
    of the BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is
    detected on the fan header. Make sure you attach a fan to the FAN1 or
    FAN4 header or clear CMOS to reset to default (no checking).

    iamnotme, Jan 3, 2005
  6. StanDK

    Bryan Guest

    I have the exact same problem. I've noticed that it happens when I'm
    doing something intensive, like compiling my kernel or using the floppy
    drive(?). I've read that the two-ton siren is a sign of bad power or
    temperature problems. I've unplugged all devices that were not
    absolutely necessary to pull some of the drain off my aging power supply.
    I started with a cheap-o 400 watt and replaced it with a cheap-o 300 watt
    after replacing everything else (MB + CPU). I even flashed be BIOS
    (not easy under Linux!) Still, same problem!

    I have found that if I take my FSB down to 150-166 instead of 200, it
    seems to work, but if I wanted a 2500+ or less, I would've saved a
    butt-load of cash and purchased one. I will try a newer, better power
    supply and HS to see if that helps, but the HS I have is rated for 3200+
    already. I don't know what else I can do.

    Bryan, Feb 9, 2005
  7. StanDK

    Chris Guest

    I have the same board and the AMD athlon 2600+ when I flash the bios it
    upgrades the motherboard to recognize the faster processor and when I reboot
    it reads it as a 1600 when I increase the FSB to 200mzh I get no video. This
    is the second board cost me $50 in shipping and insurance with nothing to
    show I called ABIT spent 25min waiting lonfg distance before I hung up... I
    will go back to EPOX..

    Chris

    Chris, Feb 9, 2005
  8. StanDK

    - HAL9000 Guest

    If two different power supplies produce similar results then it
    doesn't sound like the power supply is the problem. Merely looking at
    the cpu temp in the bios will eliminate the heat sink. Well then,
    sounds like your memory - especially if lowering the FSB fixes the
    problem. A simple test would be to de-clock your memory while leaving
    the FSB normal. Also setting the CAS or CL rating to max (3?) will
    help for slow memory. Not to fear, cheap or mislabeled memory has
    been the vein of many-a-home brew computer builder.

    - HAL9000, Feb 10, 2005