    _____________________________________

    Matthew Purves , (Deadly_M)
    www.DeadlyM.com

    Deadly_M, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Deadly_M

    Homie Guest

    "does the sound system use any of my processor power or system
    bandwidth ?"

    Yes, it has to use the CPU and memory & chip-sets to do any digital processing.
    As does almost any sound card, generally speaking, a quality ,separate sound card will
    handle more of the processing itself and be less taxing on system resources, that's
    why a good sound card costs as much or more than many motherboards.

    Homie
    --
    Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

    http://motherboardrepair.com

    When using the onboard sound system (in Dolby encode Mode , as my Cambridge
    amp connects using SPDIF) does the system performance take a hit ?
    in other words does the sound system use any of my processor power or system
    bandwidth ?
    Should i be using a dedicated PCI sound card such as an SB Audigy (chose not
    to refit it after upgrade to this NF7 board since it had onboard sound)

    Also ive noticed in some games(enemy territory) the sound is very spatial
    and doesn't sound as good as it did the SB Audigy.

    Any ideas ?
    _____________________________________

    Matthew Purves , (Deadly_M)
    www.DeadlyM.com

    Homie, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Deadly_M

    Mike Guest

    Though this article in Toms Hardware would seem to refute the above
    statement

    http://www.tomshardware.com/game/20030405/index.html

    This seems to show that the nForce 2 sound chip performs better, in some
    ways than the SB Audigy 2 card. The v2.0 mobo has a fuller
    implementation of the chipset than v1.0 & v1.1 so I am not sure if the
    above article applies to those eralier versions.

    Mike McLennan

    Mike, Aug 17, 2003
  4. Deadly_M

    LostSoul Guest

    nf7 s v2.0 mine sounds fantastic an have had seperate pci cards before they
    are in my opinion real close comparison of both.. most games can set the
    audio quality in the .ini like unreal to sound differently.

    LostSoul, Aug 18, 2003