Abit SA-6 not able to do 133 FSB over time??

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Arifi Koseoglu, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Hello everyone,

    A friend has been using an Abit SA-6 (not the RAID version) for
    approx. two years with a PIII-733/256/1.7V . It used to run fine at
    rated 733 MHz, with 133 Mhz FSB.

    Recently, we started getting random lock-ups, and currently it only
    runs stable at 66 MHz FSB with CPU @ 366 MHz.

    I am definitely not an Abit expert, but tried many combinations with
    the SW1 dip switch on the MoBo and using the SoftMenu III in the BIOS.
    It did not help. (Actually, I also have one question on this issue:
    When I set the FSB freq. with the dip switch, but also leave the Soft
    Menu enabled, should the settings done in SM have any effect?)

    I also flashed the BIOS to the latest version from Abit's site, no
    changes.

    What could be wrong? Is this the Capacitor problem mentioned in some
    messages?

    Many thanks in advance,
    -arifi

    Arifi Koseoglu, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Arifi Koseoglu

    TomG Guest

    that board was among the many that were very well known for developing the
    bad capacitor syndrome. have you guys checked for that problem?
    --
    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20Pic/BE6II%20bad%20caps1.jpg
    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad%20Caps%20Pic/BX133%20caps.jpg

    --
    Homie and BigBadger repair boards and have many happy
    customers:

    Homie (AKA Capman), in the US, at:

    http://home.att.net/~garyheadlee/

    (look for posts from BigBadger if you're in the UK or try him at
    [email protected]***NO-SPAM***.com with the obvious
    spam protection removed...)

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified