Abit VI7 and Celeron D 320

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Peter Anargirou, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. I'm building a computer for a friend, and we purchased an Intel
    Celeron D Processor 320 (2.40 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 256 K L2) and an Abit
    VI7 mainboard. Pentium 4s and the Celerons are both socket 478 (some
    anyways), and I couldn't find any boards that specifically said they'd
    work with Celerons. The salesman assured me that they'd work
    together, but I can't get the computer to work now, and I'm wondering
    if it's a compatibility issue.

    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/kbase.php?categories=1&model=133&faq_id=321
    lists the five highest CPUs it can take. Intel Socket 478 Celeron
    (0.13 micron, 1.525/1.530 V, 128K L2), up to 2.4GHz is listed. My
    Celeron is Intel® Celeron® D processor 320 90 nm 256K L2 2.40 GHz 533
    MHz according to http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/info.htm#celerond

    That's twice as much level 2 cache. In addition, I know that the 90
    nm technology is newer than the 0.13 micron technology according to an
    article I found. So does this mean that my CPU and mainboard aren't
    compatible?

    Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance if you
    can help.

    - Peter Anargirou

    Peter Anargirou, Sep 11, 2004