    I was able to install xp pro with little trouble, but after a couple
    of strange BSOD's; I decided to run a memory test. I used memtest86
    (v3), and discovered that test #5 had some failures - and ONLY test
    #5.

    I also tried using ms's windows mem diag program (similiar to
    memtest86), and got CONSISTANT memory errors ong the LRAND test ON
    BOTH STICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I've tried removing the sticks; tried each 1 individually, both
    together again; same problem. always failures on test 5, and LRAND.

    Cosair is a good name, and there's no way I will believe that TWO
    sticks are bad and fail to only 1 type of memory test. The problem HAS
    to be the mb. So I decided to update the bios to ver. 16.

    NOW THE MB WON'T EVEN BOOT XP!!!!
    Everytime the screen changes to the gui desktop, the thing just
    reboots!!!!!

    what's the story here????

    tia - Bob

    Bob, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hello?

    does anyone from abit visit this NG??
    is there no answer to my problem?

    tia - Bob

    Bob, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Bob

    Skid Guest

    Still sounds like memory errors. Clear the cmos and recheck all settings.
    Leave the memory at BY SPD and let everything else auto-detect. You might
    want to increase the DDR voltage to 2.7 or 2.8.

    Skid, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    hi Skid;

    tx for your reply; I've already tried clearing cmos (again & again).
    I've had to DOWNGRADE my bios back to ver. 15; because xp just keeps
    rebooting under the new version.

    I've also upped my ddr voltage, but with little change to the # of
    errors; maybe reduced a bit with 2.7v.

    I can't use "by spd" because it appears that the default timing #'s
    that come up are WRONG! I've set them correctly, and greatly reduced
    the # of errors. In fact; I no longer get ANY errors with the LRAND
    test, but am still getting plenty with the ERAND test....

    I've further reduced the # of errors by slowing my FSB down a little
    bit... but once again - still getting 'em...

    From what I've read - it's looking like ddr400 memory is NOT ready for
    prime time. Not everyone's agrees on the specs....

    has anyone else had similiar problems with CORSAIR ddr 400 sticks and
    abit mb's??

    tia - Bob

    Bob, Jan 20, 2004