    other drives while it is formatting? Does it matter if other USB
    external devices are attached?

    Thanks everyone, Steve

    steverossiter, Feb 2, 2007

  2. steverossiter

    David Vair Guest

    I am going to guess around an hour, I just did a long format on a 250 and it seemed like a half hour
    to 45 minutes but I didn't watch the exact time.

    David Vair, Feb 2, 2007

  3. steverossiter

    Rod Speed Guest

    Waste of time now with modern hard drives that do that stuff for themselves.
    Depends on what those other tasks involve.
    Nope.

    Rod Speed, Feb 2, 2007
  4. steverossiter

    Tom Scales Guest

    I wouldn't bother -- never do.

    Accidently did one on an internal 750gb drive and gave up and went to lunch.
    Don't know how long it ran, but at least 90 minutes.

    Tom Scales, Feb 2, 2007
  5. steverossiter

    Frodo Guest

    I believe that the My Book uses the Western Digital hard drive.
    Get the WD Data lifeguard tools (for Windows) and us it to format the hard
    drive.
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1
    It's way faster to format a hard drive using the software available from the
    hard drive manufacturer over Microsoft's formatting software.

    Western Digital software for Western Digital hard drives
    Seagate Software for Seagate drives
    You get the picture?

    I use Seagate's Diskwizard software for my Seagate drives.

    Frodo, Feb 2, 2007
  6. Thanks for this tip and everyone else for theirs, Steve.

    steverossiter, Feb 3, 2007
  7. But the drive needs to have a reason to look at each sector, no? The format
    will give it a reason.

    Tom Del Rosso, Feb 3, 2007
  8. steverossiter

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope, it keeps track of what sectors get accessed.
    Pointless, use will do that fine.

    Rod Speed, Feb 4, 2007
  9. steverossiter

    Arno Wagner Guest

    True. But if you want to do that, run a long SMART selftest
    instead. The problem with the long format is that you will not see
    problems the drive could correct. Basically the format-test will not
    tell you anything, unless the drive has really serious problems. The
    SMART self-test will, as it will also change the SMART attributes. The
    drive itself will tell you how long it is expected to take for the
    long self-test. Unfortunately you will have to remove the drive from
    its enclosure and connect it directly via (S)ATA, since SMART
    does not work over USB (the SMART stuff is not part of the USB
    storage command set....).

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Feb 4, 2007
  10. Not any more, that's done at the factory. Use quick format. I wouldn't
    bother with a full format/scan unless I suspected there was something
    wrong with the HDD.

    As always, YMMV

    Sparky Spartacus, Feb 4, 2007
  11. There is no such difference.
    Nonsense.
    The offline test doesn't do anything more that the drive would do during
    normal operations.
    So will any read/write action to the drive as long as SMART is active.
    Exposing you to the risk of killing it in the process.

    Folkert Rienstra, Feb 4, 2007
  12. What I had in mind was checking the SMART data after the long format -- not
    expecting the format program to report anything -- but a long SMART test
    will do the same I guess.

    Thanks.

    Tom Del Rosso, Feb 5, 2007