    desktop for Photoshop.

    Looking forward to yous answer!

    Thank's

    Chusqui22, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Chusqui22

    Chusqui22 Guest

    and what is the differences betwen those Intel?

    Celeron,
    Pentium IV,
    Pentium III Mobile,
    Centrino

    Chusqui22, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Chusqui22

    steve harris Guest

    lots to read about here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/

    good and bad is reviewed and covered

    steve harris, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Chusqui22

    Nate Edel Guest

    Intel's cheap line -- there's a Pentium III based Celeron (though you're
    unlikely to still find them in laptops) and a Pentium 4 based Celeron. In
    both cases, they're basically the same core, with a smaller L2 cache.
    Intel's mainstream desktop processor. Comes in three versions that might be
    found in a laptop (regular desktop P4, P4-M -- the main laptop version, and
    P4 Mobile.) If you're concerned about power consuption, I believe only the
    P4-M has decent
    Like the older regular PIII, but typically a very low voltage version.
    Generally in lower clock ratings than last-generation desktop PIIIs... ie
    under 1ghz.
    AKA Pentium-M which is Intel's big mobile push lately. A newer design than
    either PIII or P4, it's much faster at the same megahertz as a P4 for many
    purposes, and much lower power consumption than P4s (I'm not sure how it
    compares to the ultra-low-voltage versions of the P3)

    If you're looking for a small, all in one unit with a flat panel screen,
    that's a laptop/mobile.

    It's unlikely for a desktop (separate boxes for the CPU, monitor, keyboard)

    For Photoshop, it's probably more important to have a lot of memory than an
    extremely fast processor -- I do work on 6 megabit images on a P4-M 1.8ghz
    and it's more than fast enough, and I suspect even a PIII 750mhz that you
    can get surplus would have been fast enough.

    From what I've heard, a Pentium-M/Centrino processor is nearly as fast for
    most work as a P4 running at twice the clock speed (ie, the 1.4ghz Pentium-M
    will be comparable to a P4 2.6 or 2.8)... although the P-M/Centrino goes up
    to 1.6ghz.

    Nate Edel, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Chusqui22

    Chusqui22 Guest

    thank's!!

    Chusqui22, Jan 5, 2004
  6. | and what is the differences betwen those Intel?

    | Celeron,

    In new systems that would be the Pentium-IV based version, in speeds of
    up to 2.8GHz, this can be considered a Pentium-IV with smaller cache.
    It's a good bit less expensive as well.

    | Pentium IV,

    Power hungry, fastest memory bus and clock. The latest 800MHz FSB
    versions also offer hyperthreading, which allows the CPU to do two
    things at once, which *may* speed overall performance 10-30%, depending
    on the application.

    | Pentium III Mobile,

    This is the CPU used in the Centrino set, it's a Pentium-III with some
    extra instructions. The Pentium-III runs much faster then the Pentium-IV
    at a given clock speed, so a pentium-IIIM at 1.7GHz is about as fast as
    a Pentium-IV at 2.2 or 2.4GHz. It's much lower power, and is a very good
    choice in a battery operated system.

    | Centrino

    This is a chipset, CPU plus a WiFi chip. A sort-of good but not great
    chip, using a slow wireless protocol. The upside is that it comes
    included, and that the 802.11g protocol becoming common should speak to
    the Centrino 802.11b so you will be able to use it in the future. Note
    that I have NOT actually tried that compatibility, but it is supposed to
    work.

    That should help you find where you want to look next.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <> CTO, TMR Associates
    this we should do freely and generously.

    bill davidsen, Jan 5, 2004
  7. Chusqui22

    Nate Edel Guest

    No, you're thinking of Pentium-M

    Pentium III Mobile is a separate product, still available in a few laptops
    at up to 1.33Ghz, and in LV (Low Voltage) at up to 1ghz, and ULV at up to
    933mhz.

    http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/pentiumiii-m/index.htm?iid=ipp_note+proc_p3p_m&

    see also:

    http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/index.htm?iid=HPAGE+header_products_notebook&#processors

    Intel has a total of 7 mobile processor lines right now, although of these,
    my impression is that only 3 (The Pentium-M, the Pentium 4-M, and the
    Pentium III-M) are really low-power processors as opposed to repackaged
    desktop chips.

    Intel Pentium M Processor
    Mobile Intel Pentium 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology..
    Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor
    Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor - M
    Mobile Intel Pentium III Processor-M
    Intel Celeron M Processor
    Mobile Intel Celeron Processor
    It's just a trademark for the combination, but in practice since the
    wireless "chip" is just a MiniPCI card in most cases, you can get Pentium-M
    notebooks with better third party wireless cards.
    Most 802.11g wireless access points can be used with older 802.11b cards
    without any problem.

    Nate Edel, Jan 6, 2004