    it fixed real quick. If the problem can be fixed by a readily
    available part, I can probably do the repair myself.

    Regards, Dan

    d.l.schumacher, Apr 24, 2004

  2. d.l.schumacher

    yddap Guest

    If it is anything like my Latitude D600 its a U/S motherboard.
    If you can borrow a charged battery to test if the comp actally works on
    battery then check the Dell website for the manual for the inspiron

    Best Wishes
    Yddap

    yddap, Apr 24, 2004

  3. d.l.schumacher

    Robert Guest

    Motherboard has failed.

    Robert, Apr 24, 2004
  4. d.l.schumacher

    Splitskull Guest

    if u tried with another ac adapter and it didn't work either, then the
    motherboard is bad.

    Oh... remove the battery and try it with ac only before... just to be
    sure...

    --

    ------Splitskull-----

    Splitskull, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Robert,

    The computer still works on the battery, but there is less than 1
    hour of charge left.

    Regards, Dan

    Motherboard has failed.

    message

    d.l.schumacher, Apr 25, 2004
  6. d.l.schumacher

    Splitskull Guest

    OK then... We stand correct

    Motherboard is bad.

    --

    ------Splitskull-----

    Splitskull, Apr 25, 2004
  7. Unfortunately, the only fix is likely to be a replacement system board. If
    the system is under warranty,
    give Dell a call to get it repaired. If it is not under warranty, be
    prepared for the cost - probably on the order of $700.

    Edward J. Neth, Apr 25, 2004
  8. d.l.schumacher

    Quaoar Guest

    If the laptop works on battery, my guess is that the inline ceramic DC
    fuse is open. This is a small oblong block maybe 1/4 inch long, 1/8
    inch high and wide, surface mounted very near the AC adapter jack. This
    can be bypassed with a suitable Picofuse, maybe 8 amps, soldered across
    the conductive ends of the existing fuse case. I would only look into
    this if the warranty is expired. It is an easy fix, maybe $2 for the
    replacement fuse, maybe $10 for silver epoxy if it risky to solder in
    the area. I've done this on three laptops which are still functioning -
    only one with the epoxy. I wish I knew the mechanism for the DC
    overload, one of the laptops had a water spill, the other two are
    mysteries to me.

    Quaoar, Apr 25, 2004
  9. That was one of the things he tested with replacement AC adapter.
    Did not work on AC without the battery. It looks like Quaoar's
    diagnosis (and possible solution) may be correct. I will copy
    all his files off the disk while the battery still has some power
    before attempting the fuse replacement.

    Thanks for responses.

    Regards, Dan

    d.l.schumacher, Apr 25, 2004
  10. d.l.schumacher

    Tom G. Guest

    You can always take out the drive and buy a connector at CompUSA to
    slave it to a desktop drive. That way, at least, the data is still
    available.
    Tom

    d.l.schumacher, Apr 25, 2004