    drivers" warning message emanates from the speakers. Beyond that, Windows
    does not find AC97 chip whether drivers are installed or not. Have also
    removed cards from slots 3, 4 & 5 with no change. Any ideas...? Thx.

    R. J. Salvi, Jan 4, 2005

  2. R. J. Salvi

    TomG Guest

    no good ideas from me as I have never had an issue with detecting this
    device. nothing shows for it at all in device manager? try a clearing of
    the CMOS with the jumper and all power removed to see if that would clear it
    up?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 4, 2005

  3. R. J. Salvi

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    I forgot to mention, I did reset CMOS...no go. This has me stumped too and
    in lieu of spending any more time on it, I installed a Soundblaster.
    Caramba!

    R. J. Salvi, Jan 5, 2005
  4. R. J. Salvi

    TomG Guest

    cool... in many cases, folks are not happy with the AC97 performance
    anyway...

    TomG, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Rob, a couple of issues/questions here:

    First of all, in the POST system summary screen that is displayed
    immediately before the OS boots, do you see a "Multimedia Audio Controller"
    in the PnP/PCI device listing, and if so, what IRQ is it being given?

    Secondly, did you have the audio chip enabled at any previous point, or is
    this literally the first time you've tried to use it?

    Thirdly, if you open Device Manager and select "Show Hidden Devices" in the
    View menu, do you see any uninstalled or unusable devices either in the
    "Other" or Sound, video and game controllers sections?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 5, 2005
  6. R. J. Salvi

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    I seem to recall that one can pause the POST screen...what key(s)? The
    screen moves by a bit too quickly to get a good look, but I don't believe
    it's listed.
    The chip had been enabled and working previously.
    Dunno. Since the SB card fixed the problem, the box is off the workbench and
    for the most part, case closed (pun intended). Having said that, if I don't
    see a "multimedia controller" listed in the POST screen, I can assume there
    won't be mention of it in Windows as well...?

    Thanks.

    R. J. Salvi, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Erm, the pause button. ;-) Gotta be spot on with the timing to pause it in
    the correct point though. You can hedge your bets by setting the BIOS to
    boot from a CD, and putting a music CD (or similar) in your drive. This
    should give you a few seconds to look at the system summary while the drive
    tries and fails to find any boot files on the CD.
    Significant if it isn't.
    Also significant. Was this on the same install of WinXP that you're having
    problems with now, or is the key issue here the fact that you've recently
    re-installed the OS?
    Yeah, if you don't see it in the System Summary, it won't be letting Windows
    know it's there.

    Richard Hopkins, Jan 5, 2005
  8. R. J. Salvi

    Bird Janitor Guest

    Richard Hopkins wrote:

    | Erm, the pause button. ;-) Gotta be spot on with the timing to pause it in
    | the correct point though. You can hedge your bets by setting the BIOS to
    | boot from a CD, and putting a music CD (or similar) in your drive. This
    | should give you a few seconds to look at the system summary while the
    drive
    | tries and fails to find any boot files on the CD.

    If you've got a floppy drive connected to the system, booting to a floppy,
    especially one with a bootmenu for CD-ROM support, etc., will usually give
    you plenty of time to read the system summary. And one which simply boots
    to DOS without a config.sys or autoexec.bat file usually provides all the
    time you need... since the DOS prompt will appear long before the system
    summary scrolls away.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor, Jan 5, 2005
  9. R. J. Salvi

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    LOL!...the "pause" button??? Nothing more vexing than the obvious. This in
    spite of the fact that I can't tell you how many times I've verbally
    assaulted PCs for having a non-bootable CD in the tray...forcing me to lose
    two more precious seconds staring at the POST screen. The best place to
    hide something is in plain sight. ;-)
    Clean install. Board dormant since my foray into 800MHz CPUs a couple of
    months ago.
    Sooooo...logically looking at this, I can:

    A.) reflash the BIOS and hope for a miracle
    B.) use a sound card and assume the on-board chip went south

    R. J. Salvi, Jan 6, 2005