Accented characters in domain names

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, Jan 13, 2013.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    CIRA , the canadian domain authority for .ca just enabled accented
    character names in domains.

    One domain already setup is www.itinéraire.ca

    On firefox and safari, it appears to function because something loads
    and redirects to http://www.itineraire.ca (no accents).

    However, "network utility" in the "lookup" tab doesn't work.

    Also:

    nlookup fails completely.

    dig performs some transliteration but doesn't seem to be valid
    It asks for

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.itin\195\169raire.ca. IN A

    curl -I http://www.itinéraire.ca fails.

    Using wireshark, I found out that Firefox translates the DNS query to:

    www.xn--itinraire-e4a.ca

    And using this string will yield results in command line utilities such
    as nslookup, dig etc.

    Anyone know if curl, nslookup and dig have been updated in Mountain
    Lion to support accented character set queries ?

    How difficult would it be to get updated nslookup, dig and curl from
    opensource repositories and build them for OS-X ? Are those pretty
    standard on OS-X or must they be hooked up with proprietary Apple stuff
    to work ?

    In terms of the bind server on my snow leopard xserve, should I seek to
    upgrade it to a more recent version of BIND ? (again, is this pretty
    much off the shelf code or does Apple add a whole buch of code to it ?)

    JF Mezei, Jan 13, 2013

  2. The versions of these tools in ML are recent enough (e.g. dig’s man page
    discusses IDN support) but they appear to have been built without IDN
    support enabled.
    Not tried it but I doubt it’d be hard.
    The BIND daemon itself shouldn’t need changing; everything is supposed
    to happen on the client side. Note that dig and nslookup come from the
    same upstream though.

    Richard Kettlewell, Jan 13, 2013