    temperature should I start worrying/abort?

    Regards,
    Evert Meulie

    Evert Meulie, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Evert Meulie

    DaveW Guest

    The thermal LIMIT for that CPU is 70 C under load.

    DaveW, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Evert Meulie

    Evert Meulie Guest

    Which means that running at 70 C for a sustained period is ok, but it
    shouldn't go any higher...?

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert Meulie, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Evert Meulie

    m510 Guest

    i'm curious to see how this thread develops. i have the exact same
    question, but with the 478 architechture. at 100% load (dnetc), i'm at
    or around 60c.

    so should i take the old mans advice from when i was a kid?
    "don't push the limits" and start looking for a new hsf?

    m510, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Evert Meulie

    Eric Guest

    Hey, just curious - but I've got a P4-550 on the way along with a
    915p based motherboard. What are you using for cooling? hows the
    performance? Any learnings you want to share? Whats the power supply (kind
    and rating?)
    What kind and how much ram you got in it?
    Thanks
    Eric

    Eric, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Evert Meulie

    Klaus Thane Guest

    Mid 50s is normal temp for this thing sitting idle staring at the BIOS
    monitor. In general I find the presscott (whether is's lga771 or skt478) to
    run in the
    high 40s for a 3.0
    low 50s for a 3.2
    mid 50s for a 3.4

    They are designed to handle 70c. If it is under 70 it's not overheating.
    If you have an Intel board with active monitor installed, it's likely to
    flag zone 2 because sensor is right under the heatsink and will almost
    certainly go above 50c under a load. When I called Intel about it, they
    told me to put zone 2 threshold at 70c. I've seen severel hundreds of these
    things, if they all do it, it's "normal".

    Klaus Thane, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Evert Meulie

    Paul Kirby Guest

    Hi

    Well I have an "Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.20E GHz PGA-478" and it idles
    @ 50 to 60°C so if their max is at 70°C that doesn't leave much gap :(
    I cant even run any applications or any games, due to it going over 70°C :(
    If its a design flaw as was said in another post, then Intel shouldn't of
    released it, or at least say "This Processor may get Hot" on the box.

    What confuses me is I have a "Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.8 GHz" and it
    idles @ 27 to 30°C.
    I cant see an extra 400MHz can heat it up 30°C (double).
    I can see Intel having to send out a load of replacement processors if they
    die.

    Both of these processors have been tested with the default HSF supplied with
    the CPU and have also been tested with a SubZero4G Cooling System.

    Hopefully I will be calling Intel for more information on this issue some
    time this week.

    Paul

    Paul Kirby, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Evert Meulie

    Ken Guest

    My Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2GHz PGA478 idle at 35°C and never
    goes over 50°C (room temp 23°C case temp 31°C).
    Thermalright SP-94 cooler with Papst 92mm fan at 1320rpm.

    Ken, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Evert Meulie

    Alan Walpool Guest

    Ken> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:56:02 -0000, "Paul Kirby"

    Ken> My Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2GHz PGA478 idle at 35°C and never goes
    Ken> over 50°C (room temp 23°C case temp 31°C). Thermalright SP-94
    Ken> cooler with Papst 92mm fan at 1320rpm.

    Not really a fair data point. Prescott runs hotter than Northwood.
    The prescott temps you are getting are well within intel specs. That
    is the key here intel specs, and not comparsion with older processors.
    I'm not an expert on this matter, however it appears that the prescott
    line runs fine at the higher temps.

    Good luck,

    Alan

    Alan Walpool, Jan 6, 2005
  10. Evert Meulie

    Paul Kirby Guest

    Well an Intel Tech Support Guy said the told me the following:

    Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

    I understand that you are seeking information regarding the operating
    temperature of the Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 processor at 3.2E GHz.

    The maximum operating temperature of the Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 processor at
    3.2E GHz is 69.1 degrees Celsius. As long as the processor is operating
    under this temperature, it is operating within specifications. We recommend
    setting any thermal alarms about three (3) degrees below the maximum
    recommended temperature for the processor. We do not have a normal operating
    temperature for the processor as this temperature will very depending on the
    chassis and other hardware installed on the system as well as the actual
    load the software is placing on the processor. For more information on
    thermal management, you may visit
    <http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/thermal.htm>

    The processor is operating with in the design specifications. You need to
    use a thermally advantaged chassis. A Thermally Advantaged or 38C chassis
    will help maintain the internal chassis temperature below 38 degrees
    Celsius, which is recommended for proper operation of the system. Please
    check the following website to identify a thermally advantaged chassis:
    <http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-008537.htm>

    Additional thermal information is available at the following web sites:
    <http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm>
    <http://support.intel.com/design/pentium4/guides/252161.htm>
    <http://support.intel.com/design/pentium4/guides/249889.htm>

    So if my CPU idles at 50 to 60C and the max is only 69.1C and I am to set
    the thermal alarm to about 66.1C then the alarm is going to go off every
    time I run an app or a game.
    Also the Mobo/case temp is at around 28 to 30C and the cpu is still high, So
    I can see a lot of CPU's going pop :(

    At one point I stuck my PC case with the side open in front of my Air Con
    and it didn't lower the CPU temp at all.

    Has anyone else try to get the CPU temp for the Prescott CPU?
    Also is it true that Intel are soon to phase out the Northwood Processors?
    If so Why?

    Paul

    Paul Kirby, Jan 8, 2005
  11. Evert Meulie

    Paul Kirby Guest

    Sorry if this dupe posts...

    Paul Kirby, Jan 8, 2005
  12. Evert Meulie

    Ken Guest

    There must be something wrong with the cooling of the processor.
    Wrong mounted?

    Ken, Jan 9, 2005
  13. Evert Meulie

    Jay Guest

    FWIW, I checked my LGA 3.2GHz 1MB Cache P4, and the idle temp was 44c
    while the temperature when running Prime95's stress test was 65c. Both
    readings were with the motherboard out of the case, and a room temp. of
    22c. Power consumption of the +12V powering the core is 7.85 amps. (Wow!)
    These suckers run hot.

    Jay, Jan 10, 2005
  14. Evert Meulie

    AJ Guest

    Probably because they wouldn't be able to sell Prescotts while Northwoods are
    still available. :)

    I noticed the P4C offerings at NewEgg are getting pretty slim.

    AJ

    AJ, Jan 15, 2005
  15. Evert Meulie

    Ken Guest

    90nm Northwood would be nice.

    Ken, Jan 15, 2005
  16. Evert Meulie

    AJ Guest

    That's an oxymoron of some sort. (90nm = Prescott).

    AJ

    AJ, Jan 18, 2005