Access RAID-0 data from dead Asus A7N8X2.0 mobo with Silicon Image RAID controller?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Thumper, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    I believe my Asus A7N8X2.0 (deluxe) motherboard is damaged, because
    the system would not shut down for three weeks and now it will not
    boot my system disk. The fans turn, but the after five seconds, the
    system seems to restart. I never see the bios screens.

    I would simply buy a new computer, expect that I have an onboard RAID
    controller with two SATA HDDs connected. The RAID controller is on the
    Asus motherboard: Silicon Image Serial ATA, SataLink, SiI3112ACT144,
    Q21932.1A, 0307, 1.1.

    I have learned that I won't be able to access these two striped RAID-0
    drives in a new system unless the RAID controller chip is identical or
    very similar to the one that created the RAID on my dead system.

    Therefore, can anyone advise me of whether *any* new Asus mobo with
    Silicon Image RAID controller will be able to access my existing
    stripe RAID? Or should I try to buy my old mobo again and connect
    everything to that?

    Anyone have the same problem?

    Thumper, Aug 12, 2007

  2. Thumper

    old man Guest

    it would have been better to cross post, rather than multipost

    old man, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Thumper

    Paul Guest

    I think the Syba card with the SiI3112 has all but disappeared from
    retail, but I see one here.

    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA52860&CartID=done&nextloc=

    It is a PCI card, and the SD-SATA150R should have the RAID firmware on
    it. It should behave like your A7N8X-E Deluxe onboard, except that on
    the new motherboard, if you wanted to boot from it, you might need to
    select "boot other" or something.

    Archived product description.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20061203031324/www.syba.com/product/43/02/03/index.html

    Archived driver page.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070402...s/en/support_download/download/73-0203-1.html

    There used to be firmware files, for flipping the card between RAID
    mode and a vanilla SATA controller, but I expect those would be hard
    to find now. The siliconimage.com site used to have them.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 12, 2007
  4. Thumper

    SumGuy Guest

    Maybe you should try PSU, reset BIOS ect, or a few other things first,

    Alternately you could try and source the same board second hand.

    SumGuy, Aug 13, 2007
  5. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    Paul, that is exactly what I was hoping to find. Thanks so much for
    posting these links. I will try this separate card on another PC and
    see if I can get see the contents of my RAID-0 drives.

    This is actually the best scenario, as it avoids having to buy the
    same old mobo again and allows me to move the SATA raid card from
    system to system.

    Thumper, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Thumper

    Thumper Guest

    Problem: Asus A7N8X (deluxe) motherboard (aka mainboard, mobo) died,
    leaving my RAID-0 stripe hard drive array homeless, as the HDDs relied
    on the onboard Silicon Image SATA controller card (SiI 3112).

    Solution: I bought a Syba PCI Serial ATA (SATA) Host Controller Card,
    which had the exact same controller chip as the one that came with the
    Asus motherboard. I installed the PCI card in an old PC. I connected
    the two SATA hard drives (which were in a RAID-0 array on my dead
    computer). I turned on PC. Windows XP detected the new hardware card.
    I installed drivers from CD. I restarted. I can now see the striped
    hard drives in My Computer. Success!

    Thanks for all those who helped and especially to the guy who
    suggested the PCI controller card.

    Thumper, Aug 21, 2007