    In particular, I want to know how to prescribe the
    operands for the 64/32 versions of mul/div instruc-
    tions.

    Everett M. Greene, Dec 8, 2004

  2. For what assembler?

    Grant Edwards, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Everett M. Greene

    Jean Tabel Guest

    masm: http://users.easystreet.com/jkirwan/new/pcdocs.html
    nasm: http://nasm.sourceforge.net/wakka.php?wakka=HomePage
    gnu as - djgpp environment : http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/

    Since you have not done any ASM programming for the last
    30 years, I would suggest you to read the x86 Assembly Language FAQ:
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/assembly-language/x86/general/part1/section-1.html

    Please note that "Protected Mode Programming" is an important topic with
    today's
    operating systems.

    Hope this help,

    Jean Tabel

    Jean Tabel, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Everett M. Greene

    CBFalconer Guest

    He should have available to him at least gas and nasm. He might
    even have Microsofts MASM, but that is limited to running on DOS
    and Windoze systems.

    CBFalconer, Dec 9, 2004
  5. There is a lot of good info here:
    http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AsmTools/HLA/index.html

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Dec 9, 2004
  6. As the others have said, exact asm syntax is assembler dependent. The Intel
    docs on the IA32 Pentium architecture can be found at
    http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/documentation.htm

    Scott

    Not Really Me, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Thanks to you and the others who replied. I'll look
    into the references given.

    I have the three-volume IA32 architecture set.

    I am trying to use whatever assembler is included with
    the Watcom C suite.

    I doubt the environment will be a problem for a four-
    or five- instruction math function which is strictly
    using the registers.

    Everett M. Greene, Dec 9, 2004