Accessing a 160 gig drive with the A7V133?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by at50, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. at50

    at50 Guest

    Hi,

    I am setting up an old PC as a file store instead of throwing it away
    and have bought a samsung 160 gig drive. This board has the promise
    ata100 controller (pdc20265r) which I have since discovered being
    ata100 only supports upto 128 gig drives. DOH!

    Unfortunately I didn't check this first but I have upgraded the BIOS
    to AVU1009 and the promise controller to 2.00.0.29 and now I can see
    149 gig of the drive, sooo close.

    Is there any way I can get access to that last bit of space please?

    Many thanks for reading and any help GREATLY appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Tom

    at50, Mar 18, 2005

  2. at50

    Muttley Guest

    I know it sounds stupid, but 149GB is the correct size reported by a PC for
    a 160GB Hard Drive.

    This is due to the difference between the Decimal Gigabyte used by Harddrive
    manufacturers, and the Binary Gigabyte used on a PC.

    The following text was copied from Samsung's FAQ pages for this issue.
    ----------------------------
    Capacity of an 80-GB Hard Drive Reported as 74 GB
    This is because of the dual meaning of the word "gigabyte," depending on
    whether it's calculated in binary (base-2) or decimal (base-10) mathematics.
    A gigabyte means 109 (1,000,000,000) bytes. A gigabyte also means 230
    (1,073,741,824) bytes.

    An 80-gigabyte hard drive has a capacity of 80 billion bytes. Since we
    think in terms of base-10, when we say "gigabyte" we mean the decimal
    gigabyte. A computer's architecture is designed on powers of two, so when a
    computer says "gigabyte," it means the binary gigabyte.

    Therefore, an operating system may display the capacity of an 80-gigabyte
    hard drive as 74.5 gigabytes. There will appear to be 7.4 percent fewer
    gigabytes, but each is also 7.4 percent larger.

    In much the same way that a tree is the same size whether its height is said
    to be 25 feet or 8.2 meters, 80 decimal gigabytes and 74.5 binary gigabytes
    both refer to exactly the same capacity, 80,000,000,000 bytes.

    The same dual meaning also exists with other units:

    Binary Value Unit Decimal Value
    1,024 210 kilobyte (kB) 103 1,000
    1,048,576 220 megabyte (MB) 106 1,000,000
    1,073,741,824 230 gigabyte (GB) 109 1,000,000,000
    1,099,511,627,776 240 terabyte (TB) 1012 1,000,000,000,000

    To eliminate confusion, in 1998 the International Electrotechnical
    Commission devised the terms kibibyte (kiB), mebibyte (MiB), gibibyte (GiB)
    and tebibyte (TiB) to refer to the binary units, though these have yet to
    attain widespread usage and are not considered part of standard SI
    (International System of Units).

    Muttley, Mar 18, 2005

  3. It's reporting the correct amount. on my A7V133-C I this week changed my
    120GB Samsung for a 200GB Seagate and it shows as 186GB under Windows

    Advertised --- Actual Capacity
    10GB --- 9.31 GB
    20GB --- 18.63 GB
    30GB --- 27.94 GB
    40GB --- 37.25 GB
    60GB --- 55.88 GB
    80GB --- 74.51 GB
    100GB --- 93.13 GB
    120GB --- 111.76 GB
    160GB --- 149.01 GB
    180GB --- 167.64 GB
    200GB --- 186.26 GB
    250GB --- 232.83 GB

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    Thomas Wendell, Mar 18, 2005
  4. at50

    Paul Guest

    As Muttley said:

    160 / (1.024*1.024*1.024) = 149.01

    160 is decimal manufacturer number, 149 is in binary GB.

    You are good to go.

    Generally ATA133 is an excellent indicator of being able to
    handle 48 bit LBA, but select ATA100 controllers can also do
    it - you just have to verify for each ATA100 product, whether
    there is support or not. It is hard to look up that info
    for Promise motherboard chips.

    Go here:
    http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V133&Type=All

    Examine the "more" button next to UltraWinDrvB29.zip

    http://www.asus.com/support/downloa...&l3_id=4&m_id=1&key_f_name=UltraWinDrvB29.zip

    "Support 48bit LBA HDD"

    Maybe that is why it is working ?

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 18, 2005
  5. at50

    Axl Myk Guest

    Some manufacturers count a megabyte as 1000 kb, while others count it as
    1024 kb.. With simple addition errors like the former, you get a higher
    advertized capacity on a drive, although it's wrong.. It's all an
    advertizing gimmick..

    Axl Myk, Mar 18, 2005
  6. Not actually.
    The Mega, and Giga prefixes are clearly defined as 10^6, and 10^9. It was
    lazy computer programmers who tried to adopt the alternative. There is a
    defined 'proper' form of the MBiByte, and GBiByte for the binary versions.
    Microsoft are appalling here, using in some cases a binary KB, and then
    multiplying it by 1000, and in other cases 1024, giving two different
    sizes for the same file, according to the tool you use...

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Mar 18, 2005
  7. at50

    DaveW Guest

    The reported "149 GB" is the FORMATTED capacity of the 160 GB Unformatted
    drive. All is well.

    DaveW, Mar 19, 2005
  8. at50

    DD Guest

    Why in the world are you setting up a server with the drive containing only
    one partition?

    149 is about all you will get, although to go by my Maxtor 60GB, which gives
    me an actual 57.2GB, you might be able to eke out a full 152.5GB, depending
    on the actual 'true' physical capacity of the hard drive. Obviously in the
    decimal-GB to binary-GB translation mentioned by other respondents, the math
    does not work out to that, and my "60GB" drive actually works out to 61.42GB
    or so in the decimal math of hard drive manufacturers; however, nobody is
    going to advertise a "61.42GB" hard drive.

    If you really want to know if you can get more than 149GB, although it's
    doubtful, do this:

    - make an 80GB partition
    - make another partition with the remainder of the drive

    If the total is more than 149GB, you are better off with two partitions
    anyway.

    Besides, separating your porn from your illegally downloaded MP3s is easier
    with 2 partitions than with 2 folders ;p

    DD, Mar 19, 2005
  9. at50

    at50 Guest

    Thank you everyone for your help, much appreciated.

    Pretty bloody stupid way of doing things. Was probably ok when hard
    drives were alot smaller and the difference was marginal but with say
    a 200 or 300 gig drive thats 22 gig difference?

    You are spot on Paul, the promise update was for "Support 48bit LBA
    HDD" but I was unsure what that meant. Its all good now! Thank you.

    If anyone is looking for a quiet hard drive this one is great -
    Samsung 160gig SP1614N (not SATA but apparently sata isn't all that
    much faster yet in most drives). Bought it based on the spcr review
    and it is almost completely silent, set the automatic acoustic
    management to quiet and its barely audible when writing.

    SPCR Review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article152-page1.html

    Many thanks again guys for all the help.

    Cheers,
    Tom

    at50, Mar 19, 2005