Accessing PCI devices (low level programming)

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Sebastien DI MERCURIO, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Hello all,

    I'm trying to figure out how OSes are working by making mine. For the
    moment, I try to detect PCi devices in my computer.

    So, I have took an Intel PCi bridge datasheet and I have read it. I have
    tried to get device ID and vendor ID of device 0, function 0 on bus 0 with a
    simple piece of code.

    When I lauch it on my computer (there is not other OS in the computer, just
    grub), it returns me vendor ID 0x8086 (Intel) and device Id..... I do not
    remember the number, but it is good, it is my PCI bridge.

    When I do the same under bochs, the IA-32 emulator, it returns me 0xFFFF for
    both device ID and Vendor ID.

    For sure, I have forgotten to initialize something, required for probing PCI
    device, and my computer BIOS do this initialization for me and not bochs
    BIOS.

    So I would like to know if someone as already do such kind of low level
    probing on PCI bus, or if he know where I could get some doc on this subject
    (just on the initialization of PCI)

    Thank very much
    Sebastien

    Sebastien DI MERCURIO, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Sebastien DI MERCURIO

    Murray Symon Guest

    You must make sure that your emulator is not hiding or vitualizing any
    of your hardware devices.

    You may find what you want by looking into the Linux kernel source.
    There is an online cross-referenced source at http://lxr.linux.no.
    Have a look in the "Documentation" directory first.

    Murray Symon, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Sebastien DI MERCURIO

    RusH Guest

    [cut]
    you can look at uniflash code, its pascal, but its better than nothing :)

    RusH, Oct 10, 2003