Acer Aspire 1800 series: BIOS reset

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Tim, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I've got a friend who's having some troubles with his laptop. The
    laptop is 13 months old, has extended warranty (which he forgot to
    register, so that's void now) and doesn't boot anymore. It was working
    fine, crashed and doesn't boot since then. Acer support told me that
    that happens sometimes and nobody knows why. I didn't feel happier ;-)

    Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be? I'm thinking
    that the BIOS might be the culprit, but there's no jumper to reset the
    BIOS and the battery can't be taken out of its socket (soldered
    there). Understandably, nor Acer, nor the after-warranty repair center
    want to tell me how to reset the BIOS.

    The laptop still starts (power ok), the fans whirl, the disk spins,
    but no screen and no POST beeps. Removing memory and disk didn't make
    a difference either.
    I've tried holding the power button for 20 seconds, leaving the laptop
    without battery and power for several hours, none of it helped.

    Does anybody have an idea what else I could try? Otherwise we'll send
    it back and my friend will end up buying a new laptop (he needs it for
    his job, so can't wait for the repair, even under warranty).

    Thanks for all help!

    Cheers,

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Tim

    denfilin Guest

    Hey Tim,

    Did your friends laptop come with a disc set or with the built in EISA
    HDD backup? Don't know which model he has but, at times the BIOS can
    blank out but can be reset. Check the BIOS and see if you can see a
    name listed for the hard drive in both the info tab and the boot tab.
    If you only see a name listed for the hard drive in the info section
    of the BIOS, then you need to insert the original HDD and reset the
    bios using the alt + F10 (sometimes F12) function. Hope this isn't
    too late as I see you posted almost 1 month ago.

    MacDaddi

    denfilin, Sep 16, 2006