Acer Aspire 5000 overheating

Discussion in 'Acer' started by c-cubed, Dec 31, 2006.

  1. c-cubed

    c-cubed Guest

    My Acer Aspire 5000 has suddenly started shutting down from
    overeheating. It has been fine until recently and now it has become a
    major problem.
    1) I know its overheating because I run MobileMeter and see the
    temperature climb from 45C to
    ~97C and then it shutsdown.
    2) The problem is definitely related to CPU load. If CPU is below 30%
    there are no problems. When
    CPU is at 100% it shutsdown in <5 minutes.
    I opened the case and cleaned the fan in the Thermal Module. This
    helped slightly, ie it lasts a few more minutes. I tried using a
    chillpad, Targa Tornado. Again this helped slightly I gave me a few
    more minutes. but not good enough.

    I suspect the Thermal module, 60.A51V7.005, may not be transfering heat
    from the processor, possibly because of corrosion, dirt or maybe drying
    our of thermal grease. Perhaps the thermal module has gone bad (the fan
    seems to be running ok)

    Can anyone tell me how to remove the Thermal Module show I can check
    it? Does it use thermal grease between the module and processor? Where
    can I get some? Does anyone have a similar problem? Any ideas?

    c-cubed, Dec 31, 2006

  2. c-cubed

    c-cubed Guest

    Problem solved. It was the thermal module. After much searching, I
    couldn't find any instructions on disassembling the Acer 5000, so I
    had to take it to a local shop, http://speedpc.com. I bought a new
    thermal module on the web and took the machine and new thermal unit
    into these guys. They did a great job!!!! Quick inexpensive and
    professionally done. Not attemptiong it myself was a smart choice.

    I had them save the old thermal unit. I was really curious. I couldn't
    figure out how a fan,copper pipe and radiator could suddenly break.

    When I got the a good look at the old thermal unit it was obvious. The
    unit had a large bur on the pad that connected the heat pipe to the
    top of the processor. It was a miracle it ever worked. There must have
    been some small mechcanical shift that caused the bur to open an air
    gap between the pad and the processor. No metal on metal contact. No
    heat transfer. Processor overheats and shuts off.

    Laptop processors run very hot ~95C. Any small defect in the cooling
    module will cause them to shut off.

    c-cubed, Feb 18, 2007

  3. c-cubed

    socalcomputer

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks C-Cube

    I had the same problem with my Aspire 5000 and c-cube's solution was exactly what I needed. I bought the part (cooling fan and heatink: 36ZL5TATN011) from Lapzone.com and had a local computer shop (found on Yelp.com) install it, all for approximately $150 (parts + labor). My laptop seems to be working fine now. YEAH!!! FINALLY!!!

    For those living in the Los Angeles area, I took it to 5 Star Computer Service in Sherman Oaks (5starcomputerservice.com.com). They had a lot of positive reviews on Yelp.com. My experience was no different: fast, reliable and fairly priced.

    socalcomputer, Dec 10, 2008