Acer Aspire 5315 shuts down on its own

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Albédo, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. Albédo

    dlptvsteve

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Northern NJ
    I bought a 5315 Acer from WalMart in November of 2007 also. About 2 weeks ago, my son complained about it shutting down. I downlooaded the SPEEDFAN utility and confirmed that under heavy CPU demands, the core temp would rise very high 80-90C +. After reading many complaints and suggestions regarding this notebook, I performed the following with success:

    1-Loaded the FANSPEED utility for monitoring core temperature (as mentioned above)
    2-Updated from the ACER website: e-framework, e-power management and BIOS
    3-Removed the bottom cover (4 screws) and carefuly removed the fan (3 screws)
    4-Removed dust buildup on small heat sink that measured about 1/4" x 2" inches. Reminded me of lint buid up in a dryer's lint filter. Cleaned fan blades.
    5-Re-assempled, powered up and the notebook runs at about 47-52C

    Computer runs cooler and quiter and noticed that the fan speed changes don't seem to pulse as much as when it was new.

    Side note.. ACER customer service and e-CONTACT US resulted in nothing. Very poor customer service support.

    dlptvsteve, Aug 30, 2009

  2. Albédo

    LORD_MARINE

    Joined:
    May 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Solved my acer shutting down suddenly problem

    Solved it
    Short: ground cable vas severed/cut inside the laptop coming from the A/C
    Long: My girlfriend had this Acer, and it started shutting off...so I wanted to reboot it, and it work for some time than suddenly shut down, checked the disk, the A/C adapter(maybe it's burnt out faulty battery do this) the battery is dead(so I removed it),maybe the incoming A/C has a small fluctuation so I connect the UPS battery...no change so maybe heat problem opened the cooler and cleaned it, a lot of dust so happy it will surely work...again loading windows shuts down, dig out some official destatic procedure unplug A/C & battery...press and hold start button for 20sec do destatic...this time it entered windows yay...checked for disable paging / powers settings etc… installed graphic driver – run windows experience index... as it started testing shuts down again...maybe I should smash this piece of junk and say to my girlfriend next time buy Toshiba or HP, although this Acer Aspire 8930 looked awesome. Finally I lost it and went working some wiring on a Jeep that I bought recently, because previous owner decided to reroute everything with everything and digging in there it came to me +/- hmm maybe some wires are messed up and graphic card doesn’t get enough power so when the windows aero kicks in or something it draws power and dies because the processor and RAM need it without fluctuation...so I opened it again followed the wire from the A/C inlet to the motherboard pulled it a little to check if it holds an it just fell off – wield it/ placed some heat isolation that shrinks and now the laptop works like a baby...
    Remember one thing usually in the repair shop people who work there are young with no experience except swap some part with a new one or reinstall something again…don’t throw away your money – If I started to write all the thing I saw it would take me at least 20 pages…
    Hope this helps someone...I'll post it to every site I dig thru looking for answers...Take care everyone...

    LORD_MARINE, May 2, 2011