    Contact details : http://www.metalvortex.com/form/index.htm
    Website : http://www.metalvortex.com/

    "It ain't Coca Cola, it's rice" - The Clash

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 24, 2003

  2. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Sharon F Guest

    A very good article about converting and obtaining a desirable cluster size
    can be found here: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

    The end of the article refers to a writeup by the same author that relate
    to the volume label and product activation. I have never found these steps
    to be necessary but they may be of interest to you.

    Sharon F, Aug 24, 2003

  3. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Sharon F Guest

    You're most welcome.

    Sharon F, Aug 24, 2003
  4. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    gus Guest

    To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
    Open Command Prompt.
    In the command prompt window, type
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

    For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format
    drive D: with the ntfs format.

    Notes

    To open command prompt, click Start, point to All
    Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command
    Prompt.
    You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this
    command.
    you can convert to Ntfs but not convert ntfs to fat

    gus, Aug 25, 2003
  5. [snip]

    Thanks for that. The issue I had over the "convert" command is that
    it does not appear to allow for any control over cluster size (I've
    heard that it creates 512 byte clusters which might not be too good
    for large files).

    Beats the hell out of me why Acer shipped the machine with FAT32 in
    the first place.

    --
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 25, 2003
  6. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    scuba Guest

    Beware of the reason why the harddisk of acer tablet PC be
    formatted as FAT 32 but not NTFS.

    The recovery disks and the harddisk recovery image are
    written in windows 98 format. If you convert the harddisk
    to NTFS, I am afraid that you cannot use the built-in
    harddsik recovery function or even you need to format both
    c and d drive in the recovery process to get back the
    fat32 partitions.

    scuba, Aug 26, 2003
  7. If you have a boot cd or boot floppy you can fdisk the drive before you run
    the restore and get rid of the ntfs partition so then when you restore it
    will restore fully the FAT32 partitions than you can convert them again.

    Poolsharkie69, Aug 26, 2003
  8. Its not that big a deal guys. Since most of the restore CD's for my systems
    use a modified Win98 boot method the easiest thing to have happen is to use
    FAT32. Then the user can convert after the restore.

    Poolsharkie69, Aug 27, 2003