Acer eRecover and partitions!

Discussion in 'Acer' started by FokkerCharlie, May 12, 2008.

  1. Hi all

    I have just bought a jolly nice Acer Aspire 5920- but it has one
    distressing shortcoming- no Vista install disks! There is, however,
    the facility to make a 'Factory Default' disk, which I have already
    done.

    I will be installing Ubuntu on this machine, as I prefer it to
    Windows, but a couple of questions before I start shuffing partitions
    around:

    Are the DVDs produced by the Recovery suite enough to restore Vista
    on their own? I ask, as I intend to remove the hidden 'EISA
    Configuration' partition which currently takes up about 10GB.

    I won't be using Vista much, if at all, but as I have paid for it, I
    may as well dual-boot, at least until I need the space that the extra
    OS is taking up!

    Also, there's another partition, it seems for Acer Arcade, which is
    bootable from powered-off condition using a seperate key. I have
    heard that installing Linux stops this working- anyone know why/how I
    can circumvent this?

    Thanks for your help!
    Charlie

    FokkerCharlie, May 12, 2008

  2. Thanks for the response, HH.

    That's jolly interesting- and begs the question- what's the point of
    the recovery disk, then? I think that the original config is
    recoverable from the hidden partition alone...

    Cheers
    Charlie

    FokkerCharlie, May 13, 2008