Acer Extensa 391c now freezes within two minutes after booting

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Cali Real Estate, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have a problem with my Acer Extensa 391c laptop, on which I'm
    running Windows 95. I had never had any problem with it since I
    bought it new 5 years ago until about a week ago. I was then in the
    process of transfering some data from my desktop PC to the laptop by
    means of Direct Cable Connection (parallel ports) - which I had done
    exactly in the same way countless times in the past without problems -
    when all of a sudden the laptop froze up.

    Since then, every time I boot it up I can work on it for about a
    couple of minutes before the laptop freezes permanently and must be
    rebooted (most times by unplugging the electrical cord or taking out
    the battery). This behavior is identical both when using the battery
    and when using the power supply. In order to check if it was a hard
    drive problem, I took out the hard drive and booted the laptop with a
    start-up floppy: same exact behavior - the PC freezes within a couple
    of minutes. I accessed the setup utility, and everything is fine
    there. I even downloaded the bios upgrade from the Acer website
    and installed it, but nothing changed.

    I ran TuffTest diagnostic software (several sessions of a couple of
    minutes each), to check for hardware damage, but everything seems to
    be all right (ram memory, video memory, processor, screen, etc.)

    I find this very puzzling. Any suggestions?

    Thank you all.

    James

    Cali Real Estate, Oct 31, 2003