Acer iDea 510 MCE 2005 - English version missing

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Laszlo, Jan 8, 2007.

  1. Laszlo

    Laszlo Guest

    Hi all,

    I have just purchased an Acer iDea 510 in Switzerland, only to find out
    that it does not provide MCE 2005 in English (only French, German, and
    Italian).

    I have tried to install a stand-alone version of MCE (English) but
    despite all my attempts, I have not been able to slipstream the SATA
    controller drivers into it, leaving me with an "unknown disk" during
    the installation phase.

    Acer Switzerland does not provide or support an English version of
    their recovery disks: I was wondering if there's anyone out there who
    who knows how to get hold of the English version (either rescues disk
    or recovery disks).

    Thanks

    Laszlo

    Laszlo, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Have you tried to do a "Repair" installation of MCE? You should be able to
    do it using the English language CD and overcome your device problems at the
    same time. Just put back the stock image that came with your Acer iDea,
    then run the "Repair" process using the English MCE CD to change the
    language and it will install the drivers already present. The process you
    will want to follow is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/. Start
    at the point that starts at "Method 2: Reinstall Windows XP by starting your
    computer from the Windows XP CD". Remember to change the language when you
    are presented with the option. It might take about two hours to do,
    incidentally.

    Good luck

    Ernest Fowler
    Kansas City, Kansas, USA

    Ernest Fowler, Jan 9, 2007

  3. Laszlo

    Laszlo Guest

    Ernest,

    thanks for the suggestion... I gave it a go, only to find myself faced
    with the fact that MCE 2005 does not recognize my SATA controller, and
    thus is not able to display the disks on which to "re-install" the OS.

    Unless I find the correct driver to slipstream in the MCE boot CD, I'm
    afraid the only option would be to find a good soul who owns the
    English version of the installation disks for this machine.

    Laszlo

    Laszlo, Jan 10, 2007
  4. Laszlo

    Jean-Mi Guest

    Hi,

    I have been through teh same problem with a product bought in Holland
    whereas my mothertongue is french. Anyway, I have managed to build my
    own English OEM version of MCE 2005 including SATA drivers using NLite
    software. I have tried without any success to contact ACER asking for
    some recovery CD in a different language than dutch. The drivers can
    be found on their FTP section (desktop folder/aspire Idea 510) of
    their website. The SATA drivers can be found under Mass storage
    drivers name but need to be extracted using -A or -D (when using
    "Run" application of Windows) since the driver is an .exe
    file. There are a lot on Intrenet about how to integrate SATA drivers
    but if you need you can contact me for help. I can also send you ma
    version of MCE English i u need. Hope it helped.

    Regards,

    Jean-Michel

    Jean-Mi, Jan 25, 2007
  5. Laszlo

    Laszlo Guest

    Jean-Michel,

    your information was spot-on!

    I had previously used NLite to slipstream istor.sys drivers taken from
    every possible source... except Acer's (I was not aware they had an
    iDea 510 section in their FTP server), and failed at every attempt: I
    followed your instructions, extracted the files with setup -a -pc:
    \Intel and sliptreamed them into the copy of MCE 2005 (English) and
    presto, I could finally see the darn drive!!

    I'm making a copy of the drive's contents and will spend the next
    couple of days installing and updating my machine to the English
    version.

    Much obliged for your help.

    Laszlo

    Acer support? thanks but no thanks.

    Laszlo, Jan 28, 2007
  6. Laszlo

    Jean-Mi Guest

    Hello,

    I am glad to hear that the tip worked for you as well because the all
    thing was very frustrating for me at the beginning. Now you may
    experience some little bugs when installing the other drivers (i.e the
    sound driver for instance which requires some specific windows update
    files to work). You can also try to slipstream all of them in you
    "IDEA510 version" of MCE2005 (Thanks NLite by teh way) but
    it didnt work well for me with the VGA NVidia driver. At the end the
    most important was to be able to install the version of the OS I
    wanted.

    Hope you will enjoy your IDEA machine as much as I do...

    Regards,

    JM

    Jean-Mi, Feb 10, 2007