ACER News

Discussion in 'Acer' started by anon, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. anon

    anon Guest

    Hi,

    I have been in touch with Acer Service/helpDesk manager in two countries
    very frequently on quality issues.

    803LCI (and basically all 800 series, and applicable to 600 series).

    1. 4A12
    Does sometime hang your system, and can't be rebooted for few hours.
    Thought hardware issue, but upgrading to lower or higher version, never had
    the problem. Acer didn't know what's wrong.

    2. Blurry external output.
    I read archive of this news about updated driver being the answer, THIS IS
    BULLSHIT. Get your unit to the service center, ask for inverter change. If
    the engineer didn't know what it's all about, ask them to ask Taiwan
    engineer. By this time, it should be available on their internal knowledge
    base. Took me forever to convince them, it's a hardware issue.

    3. Battery weak
    Seldom use the battery (on A/C, battery unplugged). battery has lost 15% of
    it's maximum charge in 6 months. My Dell, still has 100% full charge
    capacity after 18 months.

    4. Wireless can't be regonized in supplied ProSet (Intel)

    5. Bluetooth module (added by Acer in 803) can't be recognized in Launch
    Manager

    6. Rapid charging is a BIG LIE. 1,5 hours to reach 80% not to 100%

    7. Wireless range sucks. What you can expect of cheapo quality

    8. Paid premium price for 803LCI and saw 800 USD decline in 3 months.

    9. No driver update except those that come from Intel so far. Compared to
    other vendors, by 1 year, there should be few patches for display driver
    etc. Acer known to be very lazy at updating drivers.

    10. Cheapo CDRW drivers - Quanta ....

    650xxxx

    1. USB 2.0 (VIA Chipset) is a nightmare.... many external usb 2.0 storage
    doesn't work

    610, 600, 420

    1. O2micro needs patch before work perfectly with PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards and
    usb2.0 harddisk. Again Acer lazy at looking, had to liase with o2micro
    directly to get updated patch. Many people spent countless hours to get
    fixes directly, and acer just get money from new notebooks.

    Smartcard in 6xx, 8xx

    Ha.. what a joke, outdated software, can be bypass, no documentation, weak
    encryption. What can you expect this to secure your system.

    anon, Jan 11, 2004

  2. anon

    Rackie Guest

    To put it bluntly, per my experiences and others I know who have
    contacted Acer Tech, its non existant. A 12 year could give better
    advice. I'll never buy another Acer because of that and thats the
    bottom line. There are other laptop versions with problems but they
    fall on Deaf Ears at Acer.

    Rackie, Jan 12, 2004

  3. anon

    anon Guest

    Agreed, The tech support for hardware replacement is good, but for driver or
    troubles really unreliable

    anon, Jan 12, 2004
  4. anon

    tim Guest

    Which country are you referring to?

    tim, Jan 12, 2004
  5. anon

     Bluto Guest

    I had to sent my acer notebook in 3 TIMES in a row because they didn't
    fix the hardware problems. They always sent it back saying its fixed
    but within a day the same problems appeared. Finally after speaking
    to someone of authority my notebook was repaired correctly. Needless
    to say this took 3 times for me to send it to them and was without my
    computer a while during this dance with acer. NO MORE ACERS for me or
    anyone I know!

     Bluto, Jan 22, 2008