Acer travelmate 310 PCMCIA Support in Boot Up Disk

Discussion in 'Acer' started by markmac1, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. markmac1

    markmac1 Guest

    Well a long story but I cretated a situation where I stuffed up
    windows me on my laptop. I have a Windows Me Bootup disk which works
    but I can't seem to get the PCMCIA CD to boot up. Its an Addonics
    Pocket CD2 and their support advised to put these line into
    config.sys
    and I copied the named files onto my bootup disk.
    DEVICE=A:\PCMI80CL.SYS /QA
    DEVICE=A:\stidehdd.sys
    I tried many combinations and also put then into my AUTOEXEC.BAT but I
    can't get it to work.
    These are my config.sys currently -
    [menu]
    menuitem=HELP, Help
    menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
    menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
    menuitem=QUICK, Minimal Boot
    menudefault=HELP,30
    menucolor=7,0

    [HELP]
    device=pcmi80cl.sys /QA
    device=stidehdd.sys
    device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    device=btdosm.sys
    device=flashpt.sys
    device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    device=aspi2dos.sys
    device=aspi8dos.sys
    device=aspi4dos.sys
    device=aspi8u2.sys
    device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001
    devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048

    [CD]
    device=pcmi80cl.sys /QA
    devcie=stidehdd.sys
    device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    device=btdosm.sys
    device=flashpt.sys
    device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    device=aspi2dos.sys
    device=aspi8dos.sys
    device=aspi4dos.sys
    device=aspi8u2.sys
    device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001
    devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048

    [NOCD]
    devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048

    [QUICK]

    [COMMON]
    files=10
    buffers=10
    dos=high,umb
    stacks=9,256
    lastdrive=z
    device=A:\PCMI80CL.SYS /QA
    device=A:\stidehdd.sys

    My changes are the last two lines and the same first two lines in HELP
    and CD

    My Autoexec.bat looks like (my changes
    bolded)

    @ECHO OFF
    path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command
    \hibinv.exe
    call \checksr.bat
    IF "%config%"=="QUICK" GOTO QUICK
    set EXPAND=YES
    SET DIRCMD=/O:N
    set LglDrv=27 * 26 Z 25 Y 24 X 23 W 22 V 21 U 20 T 19 S 18 R 17 Q 16 P
    15
    set LglDrv=%LglDrv% O 14 N 13 M 12 L 11 K 10 J 9 I 8 H 7 G 6 F 5 E 4 D
    3 C
    cls
    call setramd.bat %LglDrv%
    set temp=c:\
    set tmp=c:\
    path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%path%;%CDROM%:\
    copy command.com %RAMD%:\ > NUL
    set comspec=%RAMD%:\command.com
    copy extract.exe %RAMD%:\ > NUL
    copy readme.txt %RAMD%:\ > NUL

    :ERROR
    IF EXIST ebd.cab GOTO EXT
    echo Please insert Windows Millennium Edition Startup Disk 2
    echo.
    pause
    GOTO ERROR

    :EXT
    %RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NUL
    echo The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive %RAMD%.
    echo.

    IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT
    IF "%config%"=="HELP" GOTO HELP
    [b:588466629f]LH pcmi80cl.sys /QA
    LH stidehdd.sys [/b:588466629f]
    LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
    ::If MSCDEX doesn't find a drive...
    IF ERRORLEVEL 1 SET CDPROB=1
    ::
    GOTO QUIT

    :HELP
    [b:588466629f]LH pcmi80cl.sys /QA
    LH stidehdd.sys [/b:588466629f]LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001
    /L:%CDROM%
    ::If MSCDEX doesn't find a drive...
    IF ERRORLEVEL 1 SET CDPROB=1
    cls
    call help.bat
    ::
    GOTO QUIT

    :QUIT
    call fixit.bat
    rem clean up environment variables
    set CDPROB=
    set CDROM=
    set LglDrv=
    GOTO QUICK

    :QUICK

    Anyway any help would be appreciated - I have spent most of Easter
    trying to fix it up thanks.

    markmac1, Mar 28, 2005

  2. markmac1

    Paul C Guest

    I don't think it possible to boot from CD on the 310x.
    You will have to do a floppy/CD install.
    This is easy with 98 or XP but I think ME has a knobbled DOS.
    Using the XP CD's create a floppy boot set and then boot from these with the
    CD drive attached and the XP install CD in place.

    I have two 313T's and I managed to install 144Mb ram using a 128Mb SoDIMM.
    Manual says 80Mb max.
    They are so much more reliable under XP. Especially if you are popping in
    and out PCMCIA and USB devices.
    I use one for SatNav.

    Paul C, May 14, 2005

  3. markmac1

    Peter Wagner Guest

    windows me on my laptop. I have a Windows Me Bootup disk which works
    I managed to boot from DOS (either floppy or hard disk) with PCMCIA
    support for an HP M820 CR-RW. That was tricky though.
    However I am wondering how such a configuration would ever be able
    to to boot from it because

    a) PCMCIA is inactive while BIOS searches the boot order
    b) BIOS needs to read the boot record from the CD, this will
    emulate a floppy drive A: pointing to that image on the CD.

    In other words: This ain't gonna work at all unless there is a bootstrap
    loader utility that could be put on a floppy and read the boot image
    from a CD mounted as a DOS drive and transfer boot process to that code,
    e.g. like LINUX loader does.
    This is great information because I tend to upgrade my 340T from 98SE to XP
    and pump it up with new RAM and HD. So I'll do it because 98 is annoing.

    Regards,
    Peter

    Peter Wagner, May 23, 2005