Acer Travelmate 6000 only detects one particular hard drive

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by robbie.desutter, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    I'm having the following problem: an Acer Travelmate 6000 only detects
    one particular hard drive, any other hard disk is not detected by the
    BIOS.

    Unfortunately I need to replace the hard drive that is detected by the
    bios as it contains cluster errors. However, no other hard drive is
    detected by the BIOS (I tried in total 5 other hard drives of which I
    know for sure they work - even a hard disk from another Acer
    Travelmate 6000 laptop (bought at the same time) is not detected!).

    Any ideas what might be causing this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

    I already tried flashing the BIOS (upgraded and downgraded, but with
    no luck).

    I also tried to remove the CMOS battery, but I did not find this
    battery on the motherboard (any ideas where I can find that)?

    So, anybody any tips?

    Thx,
    Robbie

    robbie.desutter, Sep 20, 2007

  2. robbie.desutter

    Gerard Bok Guest

    If your laptop is locked to one single harddisk, Acer support
    would be the place to get that confirmed.
    But if Acer did have that practice, you would certainly find
    complaints about it all over the internet :)

    What can cause problems when replacing a harddisk is however an
    ATA password.
    If your Acer uses one --and that would be a good thing-- you
    would need to either temporary disable it or to set the same ATA
    password on your new drive (as your bios would attempt to address
    the drive, using this password.)

    Gerard Bok, Sep 24, 2007

  3. Thanks for your tip and feedback.

    Unfortunately the disk does not have an ATA password protection (I can
    use the disk in another laptop immediately without a password).

    I've contacted the ACER helpdesk and they don't have a clue either.
    They also claim never to enable any kind of protection scheme which
    would block other hard disks...

    So I'm afraid I'll have to send the laptop back to Acer in order to
    replace the motherboard :((

    Cheers,
    Robbie

    robbie.desutter, Sep 24, 2007
  4. robbie.desutter

    tc Guest

    If those are ATA drives, did you confirm the jumper position was the same on
    the replacement as the original. i.e. master, slave or cable select.
    Terry

    tc, Sep 24, 2007
  5. Yes.

    Even more: I bought 2 identical Acer Travelmate 6000 laptops 3 years
    ago with exactly the same specs (and so also the same brand, type,
    size (60Gb), and number of heads and platters of the hard disk). This
    other Travelmate is still working without any problem (hard disk is
    fine). When I place the hard disk from this other Acer into the first
    (problematic) Acer, the disk is not detected.

    Vice versa, there is no problem: the hard disk of the problematic
    Acer
    is immediately detected by the second Acer.

    So somehow my problematic Acer only accepts than one particular HDD -
    not even a hard disk that is identical in brand, type and size,
    apperently only different by the serial number...

    kind regards,
    Robbie

    robbie.desutter, Sep 26, 2007