    Support tell me to send the unit back before they even tell me if it's
    normal but since they don't seem very competent I'd like to know if
    someone else experiences the same problem. Thanks.

    Adalbert Jahnz, Jul 21, 2003

  2. I don't have the model you mentioned but I have an ACER travelmate 632.
    My laptop heats up when extensively used (3d gaming,video editing,...)
    but not uncomfortably. There is a utility (hddtemperature
    http://www.siguardian.com/) that works fine and displays the actual temp
    of your hard drive. Mine doesn't seem to exceed 61-62 Celsius during
    heavy use. Only once after playing rise of nations for more than 6 hours
    the laptop froze because of the high temperature.

    Hope this helps
    Petros Sampatakos

    Petros Sampatakos, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Adalbert Jahnz

    Peter Zima Guest

    On my 800LCI, the area to the left of the mouse pad gets fairly warm.
    With extensive use of the computer such as video games and so, it can
    become uncomfortable. Not sure if this is due to the hard drive or the
    video card but either way from what I have seen posted on the web this
    is a common theme for this model.

    Hope that helps

    Peter Zima, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Adalbert Jahnz

    Shaineleah Guest

    Hi,

    Where does it get hot? On the palm rest, or underneath, or...?

    Thanks,

    Shaineleah

    Shaineleah, Jul 21, 2003
  5. Adalbert Jahnz

    neoh Guest

    Shaineleah,

    Regarding your heating hdd.

    Believe it or not, hot hardrives are farely common under stress.
    Especially maxtor drives, which can get to about 45-50C. There should
    only be a course of concern if the hardrive is showing irratic
    behavior, such as clicks, slow reading, slow booting, blue screens,
    etc.

    I am sure this is farely normal. The faster computers are, the hotter
    they get. I am sure what you are experiencing is normal, and you
    shoulden't worry about it.

    Remember, a warm notebook may save your life if you get caught in a
    blizzard!

    HP Pavilion Notebook
    Support Service Rep, USA.
    1-(800)-HP-INVENT