    partition and the manuals but not found the information.

    Many thanks,

    Rob Craven

    Robert Craven, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Robert Craven

    P.T. Breuer Guest

    No you don't. Lcds aren't like crts - they run at frequencies of the
    card's choosing, not yours. Whatever you say will be more or less
    ignored. You only have to be in the ballpark. And they have slow
    refresh rates too!

    I forget what the standard rate is for lcd's, but say 60Hz. I don't
    know what size SVGA+ is, but let's suppose it's about 1280 x 860,
    or about 2Mpixels. So you will want to set the pixel clock at 120MHz,
    since you are doing 2M pixels 60 times a second. Nominally (in fact this
    is all rubbish ... since there is no ray gun passing over the pixels
    in sequence!).

    So anyway, you set the clock at 120MHz and the vertical refresh rate at
    60Hz. The horizontal scan rate in lines per second, assuming you have
    860 lines per screen, is 860x60 lines per second, or about 51.6KHz.

    And anyway, it doesn't matter.

    You don't.
    That's because it doesn't matter.

    Peter

    P.T. Breuer, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Here's an excellent place with a lot of details for installing Gentoo linux
    on Acer 800 series. You'll find your answers there.

    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=78780

    Alexei

    Alexei Boukirev, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Many thanks, that's very useful.