Acers Aspire 5720 fan noise or fan is always on

Discussion in 'Acer' started by jonsey120165, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. jonsey120165

    jonsey120165 Guest

    I bought this PC new about 6 months ago, I've already returned it once as it
    was not charging and they replaced some AC connector or something.
    I've noticed that the fan seems to be almost on continuously even if the
    machine is not under load, say just typing a mail as I'm doing now when it's
    been started up from cold (i.a. not been in use for hours). CPU usage is
    sitting a about 1 - 4 % and I don't have any disk activity or network
    traffic.
    I noticed that if I'm say on the BBC News web site and watching a video
    clip, the cup usage will jump to 100% and the video becomes unwatchable with
    jerky video performance and the sound is broken up.

    I noticed the same if I try to play videos or sound from the local co drive,
    it's unusable if I try to network stream anything.

    I have called Acer and they've given me a ticket to return it on possibly
    for a repair but I just wanted to know if anyone had a solution or
    experienced similar issues.

    Thanks in advance..

    jonsey120165, Jul 31, 2008

  2. jonsey120165

    Gator Guest

    If you have Notebook Manager click on it and go to
    Boot Options.. Then you should see a box which
    enables you to turn the fan on continuously or leave
    it to computer's system.. Luck

    Gator, Jul 31, 2008

  3. jonsey120165

    Wandering Guest

    If you have an Nvidia graphic chipset, they have been having huge numbers of
    failures. Recent updates to the bios on these machines have turned the fan
    up all the time in an effort to keep them from failing before the warranty
    expires. The manufactures have been cooperating with Nvidia in trying to
    keep this quiet, but it has leaked out, and the size of the problem is huge.
    Don't waste time, get your unit back in for repair while you can. Undoing
    the effect of the update will only shorten the chip life and you could be
    left holding the bill for the repair. Good luck. Maybe you don't have that
    chipset in your system and the problem is something else.

    Wandering, Aug 1, 2008