Acronis Vista Restore Didn't Work

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Journey, Apr 7, 2007.

  1. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I took an image of my Vista C: drive prior to replacing Vista on my
    XPS 410 with a fresh install of XP. I backed up all partitions on the
    C: drive.

    Since then I added two hard drives. My plan is to have XP on one
    drive, Vista on another, and a 3rd for data. I will disable either
    the XP or Vista drive in the bios when wanting to switch between the
    OS's

    I ran into problems when I tried to restore the Vista image to one of
    the two new hard drives. Everything seemed to restore OK but when I
    tried to boot from it I wasn't able to. I tried everything, different
    combinations, restoring only C:. Upon booting a dialog came up asking
    if I wanted to repair the installation, restore to a prior system
    restore point, and use the Dell recovery partition.

    It even went into the Dell recovery partition and restored and said it
    was successful, but it wouldn't boot correctly, so it really wasn't
    successful.

    This was an all-nighter effort. Not really worth it if all I wanted
    to do was install Vista. A fresh install is much easier. This was,
    however, instended to be a test of my "disaster recovery" procedure. I
    wanted to be sure I could do it in a non-emergency situation so that
    if things get corrputed in the future I know I can rely on backups.
    So, right now I don't have faith in my ability to take backup images
    that I can restore to.

    I will check the Acronis site to see if there are Vista updates. I
    assumed not since I bought it not too long ago, but that is the first
    thing I should have checked.

    On the positive side, doing a fresh install of Vista was the easiest
    install I have ever done. I don't know if the Vista Business CD from
    Dell has drivers on that CD. If not, Windows did a great job of
    identifying things.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Journey

    pen Guest

    Vista uses a new MBR which messes up XP. Get Vistabootpro and fix
    it.
    http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    pen, Apr 7, 2007

  3. Journey

    Journey Guest

    When you day it messes up XP, what do you mean. If XP and Vista are
    on separate hard disks, and I disable the one not used in the bios
    when starting up does Vista mess up XP in that scenario?

    I looked at vistabootpro, and they start out jumping into the topic
    without saying what it is. That irriates the he** out of me. Just
    tell me wtf it is my time is important. Is it a dual boot manager for
    having Vista and XP on the same physical hard drive? I would like to
    see the manual online before downloading or installing.

    If my solution above is fine, I will stick with that for a while. If
    there is a problem wtih it, anyone, plese let me know. Thanks.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Journey

    Journey Guest

    P.S. -- would this tool have aided in my restoring my Vista image? I
    thought an image was an exact image of the disk and that if in the
    boot sequence it would be OK if restored.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  5. Journey

    Phil Guest

    When you restored your C: drive (Active partition) did you also restore the
    MBR?

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 7, 2007
  6. Journey

    pen Guest

    I assumed from your bleat that you were trying to run XP on a
    drive that
    had had vista on it. If not then ignore what I said.

    As far as to Vistabootpro's page I sent you to is a full
    explanation of what it is
    how you missed that is unclear to me as you had to scroll past it
    to get to the download.

    pen, Apr 7, 2007
  7. Journey

    RnR Guest

    Journey, no offense but you are confirming why I want to stay away
    from Vista as long as possible. Don't misunderstand, I'm NOT
    blaming you but rather learning from you that it's not worth my effort
    unbugging MS's messed up new OS. Oh yeah, get some sleep <grin>.

    Actually I didn't plan on going to Vista till at least SP1 anyway but
    I'm not sure if I should wait even longer now. I haven't heard any
    WOW from anyone.

    RnR, Apr 7, 2007
  8. Journey

    pen Guest

    My point was that XP and Vista mess up each others boot scenario,
    therefore restoring either to a drive which had the other
    installed will probably mess up the boot. Vista messes with the
    MBR.

    pen, Apr 7, 2007
  9. Journey

    Phil Guest

    Journey's problem has absolutely nothing to do with Vista, and is likely due
    to an incomplete restoration of the active partition and MBR.

    The major problem that comes with a new OS is the inevitability that many
    people will make the jump without any clue as to what they are doing. People
    just blindly expect the new OS to work flawlessly with all their legacy
    hardware and software. When reality comes flooding in, they blame the OS,
    and not their own impulsive decision-making process. It's also rather
    humorous how many people look to SP1 as this panacea, as if SP1 is going to
    somehow make proper nVidia, HP, or Creative drivers magically appear. Folks,
    if your hardware doesn't have proper Vista drivers, or your software
    applications aren't Vista ready, you will have problems. Otherwise, Vista
    will run better than any previous vanilla release of a MS OS. (The migration
    from XP to Vista has been a lot smoother than 2000 to XP.)

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 7, 2007
  10. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Yes

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  11. Journey

    Journey Guest

    If you have two hard drives, you can safely (as far as I know) install
    to each and enable and disable in the bios. There is probably a more
    elegant way.

    In my case I did a Vista image restore. It's either my incomplete
    understanding of something, maybe I missed something when creating the
    image, or maybe I need to download an update from Acronis.

    One of the payoffs for me of doing all this is that I continue to
    learn useful things.

    The sooner I can get into Vista, even if it's a secondary option, the
    more I will be able to understand and take in what I read because.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  12. Journey

    Journey Guest

    This certainly isn't the case with me if you've been reading my posts.
    I don't think you meant it to apply to me.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  13. Journey

    Journey Guest

    There were 4 things available to be restored, which I did:

    - Major C: partition
    - MBR
    - One 10G partition
    - One more -- maybe the utility partition

    So, I did have everything covered.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  14. Journey

    Journey Guest

    When I installed XP, I did a fresh install, total replace of the
    drivet that Vista was on (after taking the Vista image).

    I tried to install Vista on a separate, new disk that previously
    didn't have an OS installed.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  15. Journey

    Phil Guest

    Yeah, my reply was to RnR, with a general reaction to Vista critics,
    tossed-in.

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 7, 2007
  16. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Because I have a fresh install of Vista, this is my time to get this
    right so that I will have confidence later on to take backups. I am
    sure there is a resolution. It may be user error -- I did back up and
    try to restore everything. I can go thru it again and maybe ask on
    the forums there and their technical support. Once I get it working
    I'll post back here.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  17. Journey

    Phil Guest

    I assume that you have an Acronis boot CD. If so, just start over, and only
    restore your C: (set to active) partition and MBR. Restore the OS and then
    the MBR, in two separate operations. If you have any secondary HDDs, it may
    help to disconnect them before booting with the Acronis media.

    -phil

    Phil, Apr 7, 2007
  18. Journey

    pen Guest

    If I read this post of yours correctly that you installed XP onto
    a drive
    that had vista on it previously, then that is exactly a scenario
    that won't work.
    vistabootpro will help you there.

    pen, Apr 7, 2007
  19. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Sounds good. Now when I restore the OS first, do I need to take
    sizing into account, in order to have room for the MBR? I am going to
    do another backup / recovery later in the day using this info.

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007
  20. Journey

    Journey Guest

    OK, it's been working flawlessly for a week or so. Am I lucky or is
    there a bomb waiting to happen?

    Journey, Apr 7, 2007